• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

tmc signature 60 planted

_DSC3549_zpsdjreaji7.jpg

BOOM!

Fantastic to see your tank looking so clear :thumbup: will you be adding more plants to your tank a s they will help to keep the tank nice and healthy.
Jim

I think George is aiming for a Dutch style tank.

Either way he needs to double the plant mass in there, at a minimum, if he doesn't want to see it crash and burn again.

at the very least, you could trim the two in the back right george, and replant the tops. Trimming is important!

Exactly, I think I stated that earlier, as I was changing a barrel a day, the nutrient count must be starved, now I have resumed normal w/c and nutrient dosing, cheers

You're going to need to buy that plant mass rather than grow it from what you have or you'll get into problems again. Things are in the algae's favour at the moment so you need to reduce light period an hour or two. :thumbup:

Last edited:
George - look at where the thick patches of algae are in relation to your plants. It has grown where there are no plants to soak up the light, and nutrients from the substrate.

At the moment, it seems confined to those areas. However, as I think ceg said, algae is best compared to a predator. It is simply building up strength and mass at the moment. Very soon it will run out of space on the substrate and then attack your plants. Then you are screwed, especially since you don't have any clean up crew in there.

It will take months for your existing plants to reach enough mass to mount a fight back against the algae. At the moment, your tank is a ticking time bomb.

Well done for recovering it from its previous state. However, you need to seriously think about what happens next. If you do not do something, it is going to be all over very quickly.

You might be reluctant to buy new plants because of the cost. Think of it this way. How much is it going to cost to replace all of your existing plants when the tank inevitably crashes? Or, how are you going to feel sitting looking at a big expensive tank and hardware full of algae again?

For the sake of all of our sanity, please put some more plants in. You should also think about some shrimp and snails now as well, since you have successfully cycled your tank. My offer still stands to send you some clippings. It won't cost me anything - I have to trim almost as much plant mass out of my tank (which is smaller than yours) every two weeks as you have in total.

Back