• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Drift Wood

zozo

In my enthousiasme i was spamming the wrong topic with my new idea :) Off Topic as it is called, understandably not handy :). But still i'm curious, as so often i find out much later that the idea isn't new and somebody else already thought and tried it long before. So i wonder if any ukaps members also played with the concept and made someting apealing with it.

Drift wood :) but than as what it realy should do "Float".. Still had a piece of Opuwa around in my house and couldn't use it in my scape at least not at the botom, just not enough room for that piece. It's like a trunk, it is holow like a failed indian canoe project. First i wanted to use it in a terra scape,

0NxgPey.jpg

but the term driftwood kept floating trough my mind and suddenly it came to me with a bunch of Ricia i had floating around. SO i came to the idea to add a piece of drifting driftwood in my scape and see how it works out.
bZVGrjh.jpg

Did put some little strings of fissidens to it. some Pelia and the Ricia in the crack, some HC and a few stems of Rotala Mexicana G. And a little root piece of the Bolbitis H. Diformis. And actualy it looks kinda nice.. :) The more i look the more i learn to love the idea. I realy wonder how this will turn out as it starts to grow. Now it's only 3 days old and nothing happening.

JN2du1C.jpg

rHRrAHf.jpg

YRsBRcW.jpg

zpiw8fC.jpg

Has anybody done this before and are there pictures of it? Can't be that i'm the first drifter with this.. :)

Hi ZoZo,

"" As so often i find out much later that the idea isn't new and somebody else already thought and tried it long before""

Same here :D

Terrascapes I think are done in tanks. You have a Wabi-Kusa :D Great looking W-K you have done there :thumbup: Could do with some low plants around the DW and stones though.

I have not seen plants grown on floating DW before Great idea :woot: All the plants should do well. Maybe add a crushed up root tab too the hollow in the DW for the root plants ?? Looking forward to seeing how it developed :)

Hi ZoZo,

"" As so often i find out much later that the idea isn't new and somebody else already thought and tried it long before""

Same here :D

Terrascapes I think are done in tanks. You have a Wabi-Kusa :D Great looking W-K you have done there :thumbup: Could do with some low plants around the DW and stones though.

I have not seen plants grown on floating DW before Great idea :woot: All the plants should do well. Maybe add a crushed up root tab too the hollow in the DW for the root plants ?? Looking forward to seeing how it developed :)

Oh i didn't know that, it's a Terrascape in my mind because there's no water part involved in a tank it would be more like a terrarium i thought, not yet familiar with all the insede terms. But that W-K is still a project in progress, but thanks and nice you like it already. This is a left over from the first one i made in 2013 and indeed want to make a WK style (indeed my initial inspiration) of it this summer, but still to bussy with the tank. And the Bambino plant collection isn't still nowhere to be found in the shops near me, or not arived yet. It was this one and only 2 plants are still in the the rest is out. But this isn't W-K i guess but more jungle style and the only decent picture i can find of it at the time.
S4g5I5i.jpg

That stone is in the tank now. I want to put some other wood in there and make a W-K with some small Bulbophylum orchids on the wood, when i'm finished definitively will post in in Show Orchids.. :) I'm still looking around for other candidates to finish it off and another nice piece of wood. Don't have it ready in my head yet. Not sure if it ever will be ready in there. Actualy i don't realy search, but look, see and feel and that's how i find, sometimes at places i've been a 100 times before without seeing it.. Searching is to demanding and compulsary.

That Drift Wood gives a rather new and unusual perspective to an aquascape. Whit the Oto's hanging upside down they seem to like it very much, hanging there for hours. Rocking with the boat. And when the Oto's go the shrimps take over..
4v6pU4j.jpg

I'll see how it goes and certainly keep the roottabs in mind, thanks for the idea. They only have the Ricia now to anchor their roots in. I see the rotala having problems with sticking out of the water they don't like it in this state. I maybe have to go easier on that transition they seem to need to addapt to the emersed growth again and pushed them litlle deeper in . Would be great to get them to flower up there :)
Also did put a small piece of sphagnum in there with a very young Cape Sundew

Last edited:
I have done it a few years ago.. pretty much all grows on wood if there are ferts in the water.. will post photos later.
I would love to see pics of that.. :) Thanks..

Nice, almost cant see any wood. :) that Hydrocotyle also looks good on it.. Thanks for the photo's.. That last one is realy amazing, that wood seems to go trough the glass or is that just an optical illusion?

Yes that is realy a stunning scape.. I've found only one full shot picture of it. It is an optical illusion, very nicely done.. All though he could have made an acrylic stand for the outside piece as well to finish it off. That Müpro Rail steel stand is ugly..
5184287080_b14159e838.jpg

Back