• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Green Pekoe Pond - 40 litres

Another very quick update on the Ram family. They've reached the free swimming stage. I'm a little more prepared this time and I have a good feeling about mum and dad looking after them. One of the embers took a fry when it wandered too close. Mr Ram witnessed it - went utterly mad and I thought the tetras were done for. Hopefully the episode will bring out the parental instincts.

Very long way to go still and I'm in the final planning (negotiation) stages for an additional tank for them to grow in. fingers crossed.
18544541490_98f5367504_c_d.jpg

Love that update on the ram fry. Very interesting! Thank you. Glad the rams seem to be better with their parental skills.

Stunning picture of the fry. I hope they're aware we're rooting for parents and fry!

You feeding them in the tank already? Use a Turkey baster
My turkey baster was one of my first purchases. Starting them on some banana worm and filter mulm - yummy.
Parents very attentive and protective. Male had a go at me when I pointed at the babies, rushed towards the glass and started to flick his pelvic fins. I don't know if the fin display was for my benefit or a sign to the fry to hide?
Glad the rams seem to be better with their parental skills.
They're definitely more protective but still rubbish at keeping them in formation - there's always stragglers quite a long distance from the parents.
I hope they're aware we're rooting for parents and fry!
I really hope I get a few out of this.

Hey, been awhile. How are the little ones doing?

Be nice to hear about them
:)

Cheers

And a hell of a job if you can make it work.
How are the little ones doing?
Better than the time before... but still several problems I think I spotted
!. they get stuck under the granules of substrate.
2. they get lost in the carpet plants.
3. Temperature too low.
unbelievably they have just laid their third batch of eggs!

Sorry for the lack of updates... very busy elsewhere and I've unfortunately contracted early stage MTS :nailbiting::
18456803144_f8781b396d_c_d.jpg

!. they get stuck under the granules of substrate.
2. they get lost in the carpet plants.
3. Temperature too low.
unbelievably they have just laid their third batch of eggs!

I suspect the first is the biggest issue ... of course now that you have that "fissioned" glass cell (what a clever tank you have!) you might use the Tropica system of Substrate capped with sand (0.8 - 1.2mm range seems accessible re the Tropica videos) in this setup.

In the meanwhile
1) make sure there is a "night light" left on tank
2) reduce the tetras (if you have some place to move them)

I suspect that temperature is the least issue, it tends to affect sex ratio & slows rate of growth (in the egg & after) but as fish are spawning regularly & hatch rate looks to be very good, I suspect tank conditions are fine, you should be able to see the fry turn quite pink when feeding bbs.

If you move the parents over to the second tank, fill tank with water from Pekoe Pond & move the group in a "Lee's specimen container" rather than netting ... of course moving parents + eggs, or parents + wigglers, can work out very well - or completely disrupt that parental &/or pair bond.

Well Done! hope your friend realizes that the fish will not be returning until you have some established juveniles ;)

I've unfortunately contracted early stage MTS :nailbiting::
Don't worry it's not fatal...and the symptoms are sometimes self-limiting and may resolve spontaneously without treatment:nurse:...but for now the only thing you can do is to go with it and hope for the best. Hang in there buddy...we're all rooting for you:D

Hi!

How do you find Radion XR15w?
I'm looking out for new light setup and I have a tank by these dimensions 23x18x18in (90L)
I'm just trying to find out if something like this will be enough? Seems to be you
are the one who could give a honest feedback on it :), if you don't mind me asking
Is it powerful enough? is the beam angle great? Easy to control and program?

Thanks!

Hi Mr Teapot,

Sorry to hear you're not well. Hopefully it's something you can overcome quickly.

Just wanted to say what a stunning tank you have. There's lots of different ways to do this hobby but I think your take on it appeals to me most. Experimentation, getting a feel (and smell) for the tank, letting nature take its course instead of manicuring it too much. And the end result... beautiful.

Quick question. What do you do re maintenance? Do you vacuum your carpet at all? Can't remember if you said.

Thanks and good luck with tank 2.

CD

Hi, thanks. I’m really glad you’ve enjoyed my little tank’s journal.

Maintenance revolves around two 25% water changes a week and scraping algae off the glass. I haven’t hoovered anything for well over a year. Have no idea whats under those plants for fear of sucking out all the good stuff under there. I’m guessing there’s quite a depth of mulm populated with a whole host of interesting life. Give the carpet a hack back about once a month. Lots of clean water is my top tip.

I think I caught the MTS early so may just stop at two… maybe three… Four? Oh, and I found myself looking at a few salty reefs:facepalm:.

Moved the XR15 over to the new tank and reinstated my old grobeam tile over the pond. The Radion is running at 25% with all emitters firing, Grobeam at 100%.
19501455848_529311d87f_c_d.jpg

hmmm... looks like I'm going a bit salty. I guess everyone has this itch at one point or another and I can easily convert back to a second freshwater if it all goes wrong.
19501445578_bf4a90a751_c_d.jpg

The two tanks sat side by side will look stunning! Will be a really really smart set up once complete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back