• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will I damage my 2x24w T5HO using only one?

parotet

Hi all

Yesterday I was working on my next (60 liters) setup and I found that one of the tubes of my Odyssea 2x24w T5HO fixture wasn't working. I was quite surprised to see that even when one of the tubes doesn't work the other does. Seeing the amount of light delivered, I am seriously considering that one 24w T5HO placed 12 cm above the water surface (thus 45 cm to the bottom) can be more than enough for this setup which won't have too much biomass and easy/medium plants.

The question is: will I damage the ballast if I only use one tube? What is better if I can use one tube: leave the damage tube in the hood, or run it without the damage tube? i'm not sure if from the electric point of view this issue can be important...

Jordi

I took one tube out of my APS luminaire, same size as yours, and it didn't seem to matter at all.

I tested my APS 4x 39w T5 hanging luminaire with a tube missing and I remember the other tube would flicker as it turned on, which didn't happen when both tubes were connected. I know it is a small thing and I have no real understanding of the electronics but I decided against using just 1 tube, as I was unsure what the implications might be. Perhaps I am being unnecessarily cautious but it didn't seem right to me.

Mine flickers since day 1... I remember it was one of my first posts here in UKAPS. It is something very subtle you only notice when it is completely dark and if you are looking to the tank. I was told that it was probably due to the timer that leaks current, just a minimum amount, but enough to make the tube glow for a split second. The ballast is still ok and only one tube has blown in the last 2-3 years. I cannot complain about this light fixture, the cheapest T5 hood I could find and no problems at all. Well, I suppose this will have an impact on the lamp output, but I am not worried about this. My concern has more to do with security issues: power overload, system overheating, my living room engulfed in flames... these little details you may like to have under control :)

Jordi

Mine flickers since day 1... I remember it was one of my first posts here in UKAPS. It is something very subtle you only notice when it is completely dark and if you are looking to the tank. I was told that it was probably due to the timer that leaks current, just a minimum amount, but enough to make the tube glow for a split second. The ballast is still ok and only one tube has blown in the last 2-3 years. I cannot complain about this light fixture, the cheapest T5 hood I could find and no problems at all. Well, I suppose this will have an impact on the lamp output, but I am not worried about this. My concern has more to do with security issues: power overload, system overheating, my living room engulfed in flames... these little details you may like to have under control :)

Jordi

All Odyssea does that. :)
I alrready had three sets of Odyssea T5 tubes light and all do that. It has to do with the balasts. It´s not a defect.. it´s original ah ah ah ah

I have the APS 39 watt and didn't like the rendition of supplied lighting switching to other ARcadia,Zoo MEd and experimented leving tubes out,never occurred there could be a problem with not using old fashioned ballasts.Cant recall flickering.I have done the same with a smaller Boyu 2 tube leaving one out because it was too bright

Back