• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low Tech Rio 180

Tom

Here is my (our!) low tech tank I set up for my parents, as they didn't want anything fancy. Just mud, sand, plants and fish. I took some photo's tonight so thought I'd put them up here:

11-2.jpg

22.jpg

33.jpg

Tom

Becareful with the soil from garden centre. Don't think all of them suited for aquarium use where there is shrimp and sensitive fish in it. Some potted soil had fertiliser added to it with loads of copper component. Look through the nutrient component before purchasing it. Regular top soil or potting mix should be fine if there is no fertiliser in it. Obviously if you are setting a massive heavily planted tank with minimal sensitive livestock in it, this should minimized the risk as plants are quite effective in removing heavy metals from the water column providing they are thriving.

daniel19831123 said:
Becareful with the soil from garden centre. Don't think all of them suited for aquarium use where there is shrimp and sensitive fish in it. Some potted soil had fertiliser added to it with loads of copper component. Look through the nutrient component before purchasing it. Regular top soil or potting mix should be fine if there is no fertiliser in it. Obviously if you are setting a massive heavily planted tank with minimal sensitive livestock in it, this should minimized the risk as plants are quite effective in removing heavy metals from the water column providing they are thriving.

Best bet from a garden centre would be a John Innes Seed or Cuttings Mixture. Make sure that it has low NPK values and no slow release fertiliser added to it.

Or just use some of your garden soil! As long as you haven't added lots of fertiliser to it or put any herbi- / pesticides on it.

I think it was a loam based John Innes mix, so it didn't just dump all its nutrients all at once like a peat based one would (think Ive got that right!).

Anyways... updates: Changed a couple of bits around such as the Dwarf Sag, added some Java fern, added a couple more rocks (don't like them really, they're too bright!) Hope you like

180.jpg

Tom

Back