• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windswept Eternity

Hardscape evolving...thought I'd use cosmetic sand front left corner...
19000081951_2a762a874d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys...I've tried to make it look like a natural formation by lining up the depressions and cracks in the rock to simulate joints and bedding planes...I suppose similar to this...
struc3a.jpg

Hey Troi, would you care to share how you reinforced the IKEA cabinet? Besta cabinets are made from chipboard or compressed sawdust MDF, which expands if water seeps through the laminate. Just curious how have you reinforced it. Thanks!

Hey flygja...well for a start it's an old Besta unit which is much sturdier than the new version. But basically I've added an extra top piece (see the image above) and brought some extra Besta shelves and used them to reinforce the back (on the outside) to stop the cabinet parallelogramming, and sides (inside) to stop it bulging (see below). All stuck in with no nails type stuff.

18463473803_e232251ef0_z.jpg

Well anyway, the stuff from Aquasabi arrived today (great service) and the Radion a few days before that (just waiting on the wire hanging kit)...
18518764324_50e3279bb6_z.jpg

19115220246_a40c23dd1e_z.jpg

18953855300_cc46ec575a_z.jpg

They're very small and perfectly formed, and will help with the sense of scale...

Time to shed some proper light on proceedings:cool: - the Radion hung and installed...I think:confused: - if only I knew how to programme it, the instructions aren't meant for Luddites like me...
19210941911_36cfef0c3d_z.jpg

19019699928_d7def378ef_z.jpg

Great start and the last rock formation outstanding, looks like the real thing!
I get curious about your plantlist for this one.

Patrick

Thanks guys that's really kind of you to say so. I'm not sure about the plant list at the moment, I'm hedging toward HC cuba across the front and sides with a few bits of E. sp. mini and S. repens here and there. I'd probably like more carpet plants but I'm struggling to visualise how they would transition form one to the other naturally.
At the back probably H. Micranthemoides, and some mini red stems - haven't decided which yet but suggestions welcome.
I may also try to strategically place some mosses on the hardscape, probably Fissidens, T. barbieri, and V. dubyana.

Thanks Stu, and Ed I think that'd look good; I may give it a try at some point - I'm sure it'll go through more than one transition before I'm finished with it...:)

I love the light! The fact its so small is great as it doesn't overpower the tank at all. Is it much trouble to drill etc the fixing? I'm hopeless at DIY but this is super looking.

Hi, thanks, that's one of the reasons I chose it. An even more minimal option is the Kessil Tuna Sun, but it doesn't have the programmability of the Radion.
No it's not hard to fix, you just need a plumb-bob to make sure it's positioned over the tank correctly and then plugs or fixings to suit the ceiling material. Obviously it's best if you can fix straight in to a joist but I've fixed in to plasterboard using something like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-self-drill-plasterboard-fixings-metal-35mm-pack-of-100/47347

Back