• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Managing my plants so that they fill out?

I'm after some tips on how to manage my plants so that they bush out as much as possible.

I am aiming for a similar appearance to this as created by George and shown on the Tropica site.

IMG_2120.JPG

The Plants are:
Limnophila hippuridoides
Penthorum sedoides
Eleocharis parvula

Rotala 'Bonsai'

I also have some:
Pogostemon helferi

Pogostemon erectus

Most are growing fine, I have my co2 turning light green on the DC now, I have my TMC Mini 500 on 50% for 7 hours with a 20min ramp up and down. I am dosing TNC Complete at 2.5ml per day into a 50l tank. Substrate is JBL Manado with TNC root tabs.

I was not using co2 or as much light up until recently so the plants are now responding and I'm not sure what approach to take...

The plants I have questions on are:
P helferi - Initial melting seems to have stopped and leaves are turning green rather than the pale colour they were. It seems quite slow to grow though, is this normal?

Limnophila hippuridoides - The new growth at the top of the stems is much bushier than the lower parts. Am I best to trim these off, remove the lower section and replant the top section?

Pogostemon erectus - Same as above really, new growth is nice and dense, lots of leaves far more frequently on the stems. Am I right to trim off the lower part of the stem and then replant?

Limnophila hippuridoides - The new growth at the top of the stems is much bushier than the lower parts. Am I best to trim these off, remove the lower section and replant the top section?

What do you mean by removing lower section?

Really took off the roots?

As concerning the P. Erectus, if you want to create a dense bush you should cut off nearly to the bottom (2 or 3 cm) and replant. Cause then it will create 2 or 3 or 4 more sections out from the cut. She takes quite a long time to "reborn" since the cuting.

P helferi - Initial melting seems to have stopped and leaves are turning green rather than the pale colour they were. It seems quite slow to grow though, is this normal?

Yes she has a slower growth.

What do you mean by removing lower section?

Really took off the roots?

Ive not trimmed them at all yet. I'm asking what is the best way to do so.
Do I trim the top and replant it? Will the old lower regrow and produce leaves? Or do I trim the old one to almost the substrate and it generate new shoots?

I need those same answers :) That´s why i asked.

Let´s see if someone helps us.
I think the best is to remove roots also. Cause in other plants i did have happens the same. I cut the above and replant and it will grow again to thiny till it started to riched the top where it is more light.

Sorry I understand what you mean now. I've upped my light intensity too as I thought the lower sections may not be getting enough light.

I have trimmed and replanted the top of a few p erectus already and they seem to be fine. I will cut the old par shorter though as I had left it about 3" long.

Lim.hipp. - Pent.sedo. - Pog. erect. and Rot.'bonzai' are all very good at producing new shoots from ground of a cut stem, when in good health. Yours sound to be, so don't hesitate to trim quite low. Replanting some of the cuttings in the group will make the group more dense faster. Remember to remove lleaves, that will end under gravel/soil, before planting cuttings. Use tweezers to plant in the group.
Eleocharis parvula will readily spread by runners. You can cut it to appropriate hight, but let it grow strong before you do it. Cutting in a bit different length of straws will look less un-natural.
Pog. helferi will spread horizontally by side-shoots. Carefully cutting off top of plant will promote new, horizontal side-shoots. Off-cut top can be replanted in the group. Remember to remove lowest leaves, when replanting. By re-planting dense cutings, you move the dense growth lower in tank, making a better impression.

Last edited:
Lim.hipp. - Pent.sedo. - Pog. erect. and Rot.'bonzai' are all very good at producing new shoots from ground of a cut stem, when in good health. Yours sound to be, so don't hesitate to trim quite low. Replanting some of the cuttings in the group will make the group more dense faster.

Hi Mick,

Many thanks for the reply.

Am I correct in my understanding then that by cutting these plants close to the substrate then the current single stems will spread out into additional stems? Or, is it that the single stem will then "branch" into two more branches from the point is it cut at?

I've only ever seen Rot. Bonzai appear as single stems so this is different to what I was expecting!

The cut stems, still rooted, will branch into one or several new stems, depending on how much stored energy they have to invest. This is why it is important, that the plant is in good health and growth when you cut it. If possible, cut so a few leaves are left on the cut, rooted stem - to ensure it is still active. This will often increase number of new branches.
Re-planting the off-cut top(s) will make an immidiate density to the group, making it look nice again righht after the trimming. These new plants will soon produce new roots.Make sure there is still light entering amongst these new stems, to provide for the branches developing on the cut, rooted stems.
Creating a dense group of stems, will only work to a point.......at some point the density will block too much light and water-circulation from lower parts. At this point (actually just before this point), you have to re-juvenile the group, by trimming again......
- it is learning by doing........so go on learn :thumbup:

Last edited:
Back