• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First planted tank from Day 1

Just watched a vid from that link oh my god I just want to start again :arghh:

Well this is the easiest stage at which to do your restarts :p

I really advise that you just play with the whole "planted tank concept" for the next several months, plan on adding your discus sometime ~ 6 to 8 months along ... in the meanwhile, there are loads of different shrimp to play with, and otocinclus - these are tireless algae crew - then slowly add in some more interesting "dither" fish that you'll enjoy with your discus.
Shrimp will easily breed in tanks (without predatory fish picking off the juveniles) so lots of interesting stuff to watch there.

IMG_0874_zpsy7f9xpcv.jpg

Got this plant unlabelled anyone know?

IMG_0875_zpsv9tthxqn.jpg

Replanted tank after watching how to plany vids on link above just to see how they fair

I thought P@H stocked tropica plants only so although I agree with Hoggie that it doesn't look aquatic I'm surprised it was there in the first place if this is the case.

Got potted Tropica plants all labeled and everything but then they do 3 bunches of plants for 6 quid with a ceramic ring on bottom no labels etc

Yes was about to write a long answer explaining what I had done but then thought nah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok yes it's cycled like I said to a reply to you on another thread new to plants not fish keeping I have 5 sponges from a juwel 450 tank in centre of weir then another 30 new sponges homemade style added . Used 6 25 litre drums to take water from the juwel to set this away I had a mini spike of 0.25 ammonia but within 24 hours zero ammonia zero nitrite and 10 nitrate monitoring daily with 6 corydora Delphax 20 neon it may spike again but hoping the plants are also helping I used to run a 40 tank fish house (15 years ago admittedly) bred mainly corys livebearers and easy cichlids so used to seeding sponges again just want to reaffirm not new to fish keeping just to plants :0) never kept/bred discus as back in the day were expensive and people would put you off if no ro. I am now planning a new fish house signed off by the wife so will probably jump onto a fish keeping forum and update this thread as my main tank develops and kind of update pics and plants as a log.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought 3 tropica plants from Pets at Home for my aquarium, 2 of them turned out to be non aquatic 'Cordyline Red Edge' and a 'Dracaena', luckily my third was a 'Cabomba'; this was on 26/06/15

I bought 3 tropica plants from Pets at Home for my aquarium, 2 of them turned out to be non aquatic 'Cordyline Red Edge' and a 'Dracaena', luckily my third was a 'Cabomba'; this was on 26/06/15

Pretty sure these are not Tropica plants ...
though I don't doubt that you bought these plants from the "aquatic plant" section at the shop :banghead:

If it's awkward to return the plants, please call & speak to the manager/owner - store should issue you a credit etc (perhaps then this will begin to change)

I don't think they are either, the offer was for 3 tropica plants for £6 and being ignorant its what I picked. However even though I rinsed and soaked the plants for 48hrs shortly after putting them in my aquarium all of my amano shrimps died, I explained this to P@H manager and showed her a website I found showing pets at home suppliers put insecticide/snail killer on their plants, they refunded me for all of the shrimp and the plants which I got to keep, so overall I was better off

Back