• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New substrate suggestions please

langer!

Hi everyone, looking at rescaping my tank, looking for substrate suggestions.
I currently have discus, corys, cardinals, ottos and a bn pleco,

Been looking for substrate for a while and can't make a decision, I have a bit of a list of requirements that I want to meet. As you guys know your stuff I was wondering if you could make a few far better informed suggestions than I would ever be able to think of. My list is as follows (in no order)

Lower ph/kh or at worst not affect it at all (not raise at all due to discus)
Look natural (going for a South American biotope)
Be safe for corys
Preferably a complete substrate, don't really want to layer (am open to doing this though)
Not cost the earth

Any suggestions will be welcomed. Thanks guys

Hi mark, thanks for your reply, looks like good stuff but unfortunately will cost too much to put in my tank, I estimate ill need about 3-4 bags

Yea it is pricy.

My big tank is Tropcia plant substrate with a gravel layer on top, works out cheaper and does not affect PH and Kh noticeably.

Means layering, but its a cost vs time argument

Try this link http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=guide-to-substrates I personally prefer Colombo Flora Base, or ADA Aqua Soil. I think the latter is the cheaper. It's tried and tested so we know it works very well, and it lowers pH. It's available from our sponsors https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping/substrate/soil/ada-aqua-soil-amazonia - it works out cheaper than EBI.
The cheapest option would be to layer - to use a peat or a peat based aquatic soil under sand or gravel, that also works very well...there is a how too guide in the tutorials section.

just go for silver sand/playsand...£5 bag at b n q type stores....whenever anyone sees my set up the first thing they nearly all say is "they like the sand "
very natural and ideal for south american fish like corydoras...

Back