• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windswept Eternity

Thanks, I'm sure that sounds easier than it actually will be for me! :D But a lot less complicated than I had thought...
Can't wait to see this planted!

Still not much further along...but I've been tinkering with the hardscape...
19480458519_cd7c1d8f91_z.jpg

On polystyrene to give the scape a little more height, and prevent it getting swamped by the substrate.
19478977208_69bf72b062_z.jpg

Amazonia in..
19480364579_4ee604e7c2_z.jpg

Additional hardscape...still a work in progress - suggestions welcome.

Hey flygja...well for a start it's an old Besta unit which is much sturdier than the new version. But basically I've added an extra top piece (see the image above) and brought some extra Besta shelves and used them to reinforce the back (on the outside) to stop the cabinet parallelogramming, and sides (inside) to stop it bulging (see below). All stuck in with no nails type stuff.

18463473803_e232251ef0_z.jpg

Thanks Troi

Some moody iPhone shots of the - probably - finished hardscape. The neon blue of the base glass pane is due to the LED back lighting...
19536344178_ef4e0ae78e_z.jpg

19536809979_89451a9590_z.jpg

19100842984_9d7f682aa5_z.jpg

19100868584_8c38b8d6d4_z.jpg

19697211026_2256d01476_z.jpg

Last edited:
I decided although I liked the hardscape it wasn't what I was after this time around...so...I changed it...
The plan so far is to have Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' running up the valley with Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' adding the occasional highlight. Utricularia graminifolia flanking the valley amongst the rocks. And predominantly Hemianthus micranthemoides at the back along with Ludwigia sp 'Mini Super Red' adding a splash of colour here and there.
19845993974_b94e4939c0_c.jpg

I decided although I liked the hardscape it wasn't what I was after this time around...so...I changed it...
The plan so far is to have Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba' running up the valley with Eleocharis acicularis 'Mini' adding the occasional highlight. Utricularia graminifolia flanking the valley amongst the rocks. And predominantly Hemianthus micranthemoides at the back along with Ludwigia sp 'Mini Super Red' adding a splash of colour here and there.
19845993974_b94e4939c0_c.jpg
oh wow. im liking the layout.

Definitely better than the previous one, the previous one had great textures but in the end it was just a mound, here you've used the same skill to create intricate textures and flow with the rock, but making a much more appealing overall shape.

Sorry if you have said this already but what type of rock is it?

I can't wait to see this planted, I'm sure it'll be great!

Edit: I see it was ryuoh stone.

Yep, better second time 'round.

I'd be tempted to joint the two at the back with small rocks to complete the V. Or maybe have a tiny crooked opening at the back for hc.

Wow, thanks for your kind comments guys.
...the previous one had great textures but in the end it was just a mound
Haha...ultimately that's what I thought as well, the planting would have enhanced it a bit but it wouldn't have kept my interest for long.
I enjoyed constructing it though...it was a learning process.
...I'd be tempted to joint the two at the back with small rocks to complete the V. Or maybe have a tiny crooked opening at the back for hc.
Thanks for the suggestion:) I did have a small rock forming a point on the last rock on the right, I may put it back.
But my rationale for leaving it out is really two fold -
Firstly, it'll eventually be covered in HC anyway - the tank is small and the rocks aren't really that big.
Secondly, it creates the illusion of greater depth perception by allowing the eye to travel beyond the formation - if I complete the "V" it'd be more like a full stop and the illusion would be lost.
But that said I might complete the "V", so to speak, with Hemianthus micranthemoides and Ludwigia sp 'Mini Super Red' but I plan to trim them so there is open water above which I suppose would be using the same illusion but in a different way.

A retrospective image of the main rocks arranged prior to the Amazonia going in...the finished hardscape is literally the tip of the iceberg.
After a little regigging the other rocks were added to complete the look.
20544562506_1b48e4b4d6_c.jpg

That Ryuoh Stone is very lovely stone it gives a kind of alien feel, looking at an scenery of another planet. Don't know why but while looking at it i suddenly hear "Flash!! Aaahaaa king of the universe.. Tomtomtom.... Actualy all version you tried till now, all are as beautiful.. Althpugh the last one i like best, it has the most dept to it.. like something is waiting behind the rock to come foreward and show at any time. :) You make your patience definitely worth while..

Back