• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

JBL co2 Ph computer

Most people here don't use pH controllers as they have a habit of producing algae or killing your fish. Far better to get you CO2 levels correct via timer, bubble counter and green drop checker and/or pH pen than mess around with pH controller.

Remember they read pH not CO2 levels, we are interested in CO2 levels.

Really that bad ? Doesn't ph change when injecting co2 and that's how the computer works out optimum co2

I have a JBL ph computer. But I link it to a timer and keep the CO2 running during 8 hour a day.

So the computer switches off at night and then in the morning are all the settings still there ? Also does the solenoid shut when the computer is off ?

Doesn't ph change when injecting co2 and that's how the computer works out optimum co2
Quite but not quite. What you actually want of a pH controller for CO2, is one that turns CO2 off (or down) when pH has dropped 1 unit. 30ppm CO2 in your tank water will cause a 1 unit pH drop, regardless of initial pH.

You don't care about absolute value of pH as that depends on many things, water hardness the main one but dead fish, rotting vegetation etc. what is more important is the 1 unit pH drop.

So you set you pH controller to what ever you pH happens to be before CO2 on and to turn CO2 off when pH has dropped 1 unit. This should really be done frequently (daily/weekly ?). Also to remember to calibrate your pH sensor (weekly ??) as they are not a fit and forget device, and replace yearly.

So the computer switches off at night and then in the morning are all the settings still there ? Also does the solenoid shut when the computer is off ?
I Always keep the CO2 flowing when the ph computer is turn on. I use it basicaly only to measure the ph.

does the solenoid shut when the computer is off ?

Timer is da boss here. When it's time, the timer cuts the power to both the computer and the solenoid. The solenoid is normally-closed type, means it shuts when there is no power.

I use the Milwaukee sms :) actualy i started using it during an algae problem and still got it under control. Is it realy that good or that bad? I think functionaly good nor bad you still got to do it all yourself and double check all the time and keep in control of the controler. That makes them definitively not worth the price you have to pay for it when they are new from the shelf. It's a rip deal... The people falling for that, thinking they found the egg of Columbus lay back and watch with a big smile, could end up watching floating fish one day comming home and whine.

Actualy these are the people you want to meet :) they sell this so called disasterous bad things again for an apple and an egg :) and if you buy that and use them with sense they are actualy worth 2 apples and 2 eggs. Then you got a deal.

ok so if just use my jbl controller as an expensive solenoid and put it on a timer for 8 hours a day this would be better than letting the computer adjust co2 automatically ?

i had the JBL ph controller (may be a different model) a long while back on my first planted tank. ended up ditching it for reasons people mentioned above. the unit was actually leading to my co2 levels varying way more then i needed and causing algae. the ph it is checking can be influenced by more then just the co2 levels remember. a well set needle value is something better learned.

i do wish i'd kept it, however, as if I still had it now i'd be tempted to use it as a lower end cut off limiter on a couple of tanks i run but am not often at. One recently suffered the dreaded "end of CO2 tank dump" and wiped out the tank. The ph probe would have stopped it.

A couple of drop checkers with kh4 solution is a great and cheap way to achieve what you are aiming for..... 30ppm.... that and a slow adjustment upwards on your needle value over time to the right level.

Using a PH smart controler with common sense is imho knowing what it does and whats going on in your tank when it does. And actualy it only does one thing more then a drop checker does with a timer on the solenoid. Even working only with that without a smart controler can go as disastrously wrong. It's never the devices failing it's the users failing. :) Your drop checker also is a PH meter showing a even less acurate color instead of a number. You still need to check your PH in a more acurate manner next to it. As you also need to do regularly with your KH. These thing can fluctuate and adjustment is needed. So with or without controler yu are always checking and double checking.

Many co2 user run on the edge, they asume to have more healty plants if they are on the higest point (in numbers) of the optimal conditions. But that just a falsity, because there is nothing more healthy. It's the same as being dead or alive there is non in between. You are healthy or you are not. There are many poeple running low tech and they have mighty healthy plants as well, maybe not growing so fast but healthy never the less.

If you run your co2 on the high end lets call it Lime Green then you will have not much tolerance, a few bubbles more per minute and you go yellow and could gass the tank. If you'r not at home and the temp rises your co2 presure will rise and you might go over to top come home and see suffering fish. That's the risk of using co2 on the high end of the numbers. And you're not using it with sense you are constantly in the danger zone hand down to the will of mother nature outside your tank.

If the temp drops the bubble count goes down. So regarding to that if the temp isn't stable your co2 is never always as stable as you thought you set it. That's just plain physics you never get around.

Now what does the smart controler do? We don't have to go in to that to deep we all know that already. The downside isn't in the controler it is in the way you think you should use it. :)

many people use it to rocket their co2 level to the edge in the fasted time possible. It will shut the co2 down anyway if the set ph level is reached. So why would you worry about the bubble count? Make it 40 a minute and you're in less than an hour at top level. And thhat's the dangerous mistake to make. :) If for what ever reasen the controler fails, a fals reading or a mechanical malfunction and keeps pumping your realy nuke it all sky high in shortest time possible.

So living lime green on the edge is like driving a sportscar with 100 m/h, 2 feet away from the edge of a deep clif, 1 little bump in the road and you go down the abys. no error margin!

Now if you use it with sense you go just green, your plants still will be healty the only differents is the grow a bit slower. If poeple start to yell we have plants that need the high levels, that's also a falsity. :) Because then they only want to makee the impossible possible to let a swamp plant that usualy in nature only grows emersed growing submersed on the botom of a lake. If the plant needs that it simply not a realy suitable aquatic plant. That's the only truth about it. And if you stay just green you got an error margin.

Now back to the smart controler, how to set it? First take a drop checker and hang it in your tank. Put the probe of the controler in the PH 7 cal. solution. and set you bubble count regarding wath the drop checker tells you, make it lime green ;) and keep it there for a whole day. Now your bouble count is set to lime green drop checker. measure your PH and set the controler a few points lower. Let it regulate the co2 and keep lowering the set button til the DC is just green. You still have to check you KH and recheck your PH and calibrate the controller. These thing you got to do anyway, also with a non controlling pen meter and a drop checker. So telling a PH controller is crap again is a falsity based on nothing. And if you set a controller in a safe way you have something realy nice that will keep your Co2 more stable than without a controler and that certainly never will get you algae. And if it ever fails you're unlikely to go yellow because the previous set bubble count focused on th edrop checker will never reach yellow. At least not that fast or temps must be rising out of proportion.

Stay just green, stay on the optimum of the average and your always safe. Do you still want to grow actual terrestrial plants on the bottom of your lake you got to go on the edge to nuke 'm with co2.

Don't blame the material for your own ignorance.. Thumbs up.. :)

Still my opinion is all that doesn't make a controler worth the price they cost.. it's a rip off..

Last edited:
If the temp drops the bubble count goes down
Mine is completely unaffected by temperature, are you confusing CO2 solubility with regulator supply rate ? Can't see how temperature should affect bubble counter bbs rate ? My regulator stays at 2.6bar and bbs rate stays the same come winter or summer.

Mine is completely unaffected by temperature, are you confusing CO2 solubility with regulator supply rate ? Can't see how temperature should affect bubble counter bbs rate ? My regulator stays at 2.6bar and bbs rate stays the same come winter or summer.

Sounds like he has a single stage regulator. It happens to my cheap single stage one but fixed it with a flow controller.

My regulator is single stage. Also doesn't end of tank dump either, once cylinder pressure starts dropping below 800psi (55bar) the bbs rate starts slowing down (as would be expected with a single stage regulator), which I use as an indication CO2 is running out and got about a week left.

My regulator is single stage. Also doesn't end of tank dump either, once cylinder pressure starts dropping below 800psi (55bar) the bbs rate starts slowing down (as would be expected with a single stage regulator), which I use as an indication CO2 is running out and got about a week left.

Maybe its only noticeable at slower bps. I actually normally count the number of bubbles in 10 seconds. Its more accurate this way and it does vary maybe from 10b/10secs to 13 or even 15.

So you count your bubbles 3 times a day for a number of secconds and that makes it solid enough for you that it stays that way all the time? :) Co2 presure is very much influenced by temperatur always was always will be, thats what nature does with it. Ask the high presure paint ballers them bullets hurt 3 x more at warm days. :) And they use high grade presure regulators as well. Even regulators have a tolerance in presure the needle doesn't always show. As different PH meters do as well as diffent DC solutions give different colors. You have many many regulators and all have different tolarnces. Keep track of your bubble count the whole period and you'll notice fluctiations. You have good an lesser good regulators even from the same factury in the same housing. Some fluctuate more than others. :)

the same goes for PH controllers some are good some are less.. Still got one an old Hannah instruments with a 10 year old probe and its acurate as hell. But will you be on the safe side and be able put in claim within the factory warranty periode, you need to replace it every year. Still doesn't mean you're safe, read the replys how many people had bad luck with controllers. But still that doesn't also mean the probes are all brocken beyond repair point blank on the day the year is over..

But regarding the fluctiations that's not the problem it can handle that, you're DC doesn't even react on it, maybe not even a PH controller will if its acuratie doesn't allow it. But a good quality controller well calibrated will detect a minimum fluctiation of 0.1 point and react to it a dropschecker doesn't. If your drop checkers tells you you're off. you''re allready of for over 2 hours. And wath does a yellow drop checker tells you, it says your PH dropped to a level where you can say omg got to much Co2 but the bubbes are still going. And the first thing you do is? Take your PH pen probe to check. And a PH controller tells you emediately there is something off, or the controller is defect or something els is wrong that doesn't take you 2 over hours. Still you need an other way like a pen probe to double check.

I can understand somebody with a bad experience with a controler is likely not to use it anymore. could be that a faulty controler caused algae. That doesn't make all controlers crap. Maybe you should have noticed very much sooner that your controler is faulty. Did put to much trust in the thing didnt double check often enough.

I got an opposite experience, i had an algae problem, mean while i find an old controler at a garage sale. Bought the ting the price was a lauch :) took it home, it works i'm using it and my algae are gone. :) That's all i can make of it.

Wana buy it?

I got an opposite experience, i had an algae problem, mean while i find an old controler at a garage sale. Bought the ting the price was a lauch :) took it home, it works i'm using it and my algae are gone. :) That's all i can make of it.

Same as me. No way a d.c. is telling you half the story. Maybe if youre using a reactor but not with diffusers/atomizers.

Back