• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

TMC Tiles LEDs Out

how many have been modified, by unqualified people, to stop a whining that isn't really a problem. It doesn't really tell an accurate story does it? and when people try to make things seem much worse than they actually are isn't really fair to the manufacturer is it?

does that translate to "Talk to the hand" or "Am I bothered" :lol::lol::lol:

Isn't really a problem... I massively disagree, how a product could go to market with that kind of noise coming from it is beyond me. Completely unusable for me and many others without the mod.

Isn't really a problem... I massively disagree, how a product could go to market with that kind of noise coming from it is beyond me. Completely unusable for me and many others without the mod.
there are much louder household items than the tiles also on the market people used to manage to get sleep with ticking clocks ffs. fridges freezers and combi boilers are all much louder than the tiles and most people manage to live with those too

The noise is obviously subjective, but to me it was unusable without the mod, an extremely annoying high pitch whine.
Yes I agree other things make noise, but not anything like this kind of whine, Far more irritating than any other household appliance. If I had a fridge that made that kind of noise, it would go back.
other led manufacturers can make their unit silent, so it's not like it can't be done.

A poor comparison. You are also more than aware when you buy those items they will admit some noise which is why most of us don't have boilers in our front room.

I think that recently LEDs have started to truly come of age, and there are much better more controllable, more reliable models on the market, for similar or less money.
TMC produced market leading LEDs for a while and perhaps the unique (at the time) benefits outweighed the downside.
But technology moves on at an ever increasingly startling pace.
I think now we expect much more for our money and it's not OK to have lights with high pitch whines and failing diodes...in other words by recent standards they are unfit for purpose.
Further, to add insult to injury, TMC displace responsibility for these faults on to the consumer through voided warranties, which is simply unacceptable.
At the end of the day the consumer will dictate the fate of companies like TMC especially with shared information on forums like this one. They have an option to do the right thing by their customers and stay in business, or alternatively loose a large proportion of their market share to companies with better customer service and innovation...companies like Kessil and Ecotech...the consequence of a free market economy.
I know this is very little consolation to those who are currently suffering sub-standard equipment..but perhaps TMC would do well to be mindful of these facts...

Last edited:
TMC got a lot of flack for the failure rate of their original led units, so much so that a lot of shops wont even touch them now. they did respond with longer warranties on their products and taking stuff back that was past the original year too. i do believe their products are better now but still you would think in the era of "the internet remembers everything" a greater consideration for customer satisfaction would be obvious.

for the record thou it's not just TMC that had issues. The LFS has returned 3 arcadia OTL's from their shop plant tank over the years they have had it. The issue he highlights is the classica range was the budget Chinese made range where the more expensive led's they did are european made. I suspect both TMC and Arcadia have suffered at one stage or another from variable quality control in the factories pumping out their "value end" products.

controllers and psu's have a 2 year guarantee and the tiles and aquabars have a 5 year guarantee if you read the instructions it states that you need to register the tiles to activate the 5 year guarantee and you will need proof of purchase to claim on the guarantee (all of this is pretty standard guarantee stuff and has been for years). so if you don't do either of these you deserve to be out of pocket. Unfortunately most things we buy these days are made in the far east and of very low quality but thats what happens when you lower our standards to allow these countries to compete in our economy. we should bring back the BSI kite mark and get rid of the CE(crappy european) stamp

controllers and psu's have a 2 year guarantee and the tiles and aquabars have a 5 year guarantee if you read the instructions it states that you need to register the tiles to activate the 5 year guarantee and you will need proof of purchase to claim on the guarantee (all of this is pretty standard guarantee stuff and has been for years). so if you don't do either of these you deserve to be out of pocket.

I take it you don't work in customer service. It's unfortunate if you forgot or have lost your paper work, but you don't "deserve to be out of pocket". You would still expect to get a reasonable life from your product. Lets take TMC out of this, there are lots of companies that will still use a manufacturing date or serial number. I've had replacements from companies where the guarantee has just run out - it's called a good will gesture. I know they don't have to do it but it is an option. After all, one of the so called benefits of LED lighting is extended life.

Like I said Big Clown must work for TMC :), my other bigger gripe is even if I paid TMC to fix the lights they would still not give me a warranty !!! Now that's really poor..

Back