• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aurora Aquatica

So I'm two weeks in and now my CO2 is on 24/7 I have lime green constantly. If I wanted to increase the growth rate, I assume what I do is increase light gradually. I'm currently running for 5 hours at 20%, if I want to boost growth, is it best to increase the duration or the intensity? My lights currently go off at 10, would like to extend to 11 so it's still on if I'm up later, so would that be a good start, give it an extra hour but leave at 20% and see how that goes for the next week?

I was expecting to get diatoms as I thought all new tanks got that, so far nothing. At what sort of stage should I expect to see that?

Hi Wisey, I wouldn't rush into adding more light just yet. You've only just got things settled. Ideally you want the plants to have taken a hold and display a bit of growth. Then you can start pushing the accelerator (to steal another man's analogy). Maybe give it another week or two?

After that, definitely go slowly I would say, add an hour every couple of weeks till you get it up to 8 or 9 hours. Then maybe increase the power until you get the growth rate you desire. Obviously stop increasing if you start to see plant deterioration or algae blooms. Look out for yellowing leaves, melting or holes developing in plants leaves. Excessive surface scum is also a giveaway.

Re the diatoms. As i understand it, If you have everything in balance then you won't necessarily get a bloom.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be cautious for now. I'm starting to see growth straight away on the limnophila stems and for the first time in two weeks my alternanthera is starting to put out new leaves. Really encouraging to see the growth.

I did tweak the lights a little today, but not much. I was actually on 5 hours 15 minutes with the ramp. Have added 45 minutes so I'm on 6 hours at 20% and will leave it at that for a few weeks and monitor progress.

I should add that my light is also 30 cm from the water, so about 70 cm to the substrate, so I'm not blasting it hopefully. It gives me a good spread of light, no dark corners.

Thought I would add a few cabinet shots.

FCS

36258a6c68e9abf45a571fa3fe33cc36.jpg

f86d882639845c1eb702f1f67eddbff1.jpg

My two 1.5 litre TMC Easi-Dose containers for Macro and Micro. I don't have the pump yet but will order in a few weeks to get it set up before holidays in a months time.

449f0f5e1fae8db5f6414f432ddb4a93.jpg

I had to go away for work for a couple of nights, so I left lights and CO2 as normal, dosed Micro Monday night, then Micro Tuesday morning before I left. Wasn't here to dose yesterday but arrived back today to find a few issues.

Most plants are fine and new growth is evident, but my Microsorum Trident suddenly has discoloured patches on some of the leaves.

1d83272296c8a1a40c369f338311e43d.jpg

4e41650545c24616583308b35a170a11.jpg

Any ideas what is wrong please?

My Anubias had put out a bright green leaf just before I left, I wasn't sure if it was a new leaf or was another flower stem as it was the same colour as the other flower stem and still tightly rolled up. Upon return its ended up like this...

f1cb987fb784be4149ea7e4e6f687107.jpg

I also had a circular growth on my wood, a small brown clump.
72d47eabb5227c51a8553a2aff72cf3e.jpg

It was a little stubborn but scraped off, quite slimy, is this diatoms?

I also spotted something else unusual on the wood, pulled it off with my pinsettes. It was a small black thing with a see through end on it. No pic as it got a bit squished! Any ideas?

Sorry, that should have been dosed micro then macro before leaving, not micro twice.

This is the black thing, or what's left of it after I rolled it between my fingers trying to see what it was.

0b34ac651d20fd29ec1e30381f79688a.jpg

I also have quite bad tannins in my water still. I soaked the wood for three weeks changing the water two or three times a week, but it's still really giving off a lot of tannins.

My hoses look really dirty, but looking at the glass it's not really dirty at all, so I think the hose may be stained by the tannins. I'm going to order a long cleaning brush for the glass and hose and hopefully I can clean this up a bit.

e090013a8957597a455bdc53add8f3be.jpg

Is it worth my putting purigen in? I did an extra water change when I got home tonight to try and clean up the water a bit.

I have just ordered the long flexible cleaning brush from CO2Art and some Easy Carbo and a couple of bags of Purigen from Aqua Essentials. Once this stuff arrives next week I will give all the hoses and glass a really good clean out, throw a bag of Purigen in the filter and swap out my atomizer ceramic and give the current one a clean. My drop checker is still reporting as lime green, so although I have a few issues, I do believe that my CO2 is stable now it is on 24/7.

I need to get my dosing pump ordered up, but I am now wondering whether I should order the 3 pump version in case I want to be daily dosing with Easy Carbo as well. Any thoughts please?

That's interesting Darrel, thanks very much for your reply!

Hi all,It looks like osmotic damage, could the powder? macro fertiliser have ended up on the leaves? before it was fully dissolved.

Same applies to the Anubias leaf.

cheers Darrel

I dosed on the Monday night from my old batch, then mixed up a new batch of both macro and micro on Monday evening, gave it a good shake, then left it for a few hours, another shake before I went to bed, then it sat overnight. I then dosed on Tuesday morning, I don't recall if I shook it again, but I thought it was all mixed up ok. It does make sense that the plants that seem to have a problem are the ones that are in the centre of the tank where I pour in the ferts.

Well this planted tank is most certainly a learning experience, trial and error without doubt! I have made some mistakes this week and a few of my plants have suffered for it, but I have realised what I am doing wrong and hopefully made the right changes.

First of all is this issue with the tannins yellowing the water. I totally blamed the tannins for the fact my hoses were stained, assuming this was the case as the glass was not brown but the hose was. After my hose brush arrived today, I took apart all the hose, glassware and spraybar this evening and cleaned it. It's not tannin stained, its just bloody dirty! Disappointed in myself for not recognising this earlier, but everything is now clean and looking good again. Lesson learnt, as soon as there is any hint of brown in those hoses, it is time to clean it all out.

The other thing I realised yesterday is that my CO2 did not seem to be right, I had some plant melt, so I turned up the CO2. I think that I have been reading my drop checker as green, but maybe it was bluish green and with the tannin staining the water yellow, the combination of blue and yellow makes it look greener, like looking through a filter. Stupid mistake! This evening during the cleaning I swapped out the ceramic in my atomiser, massive difference, straight away there are way more micro bubbles in the tank. I think the tannins and dirt had clogged up the atomiser to some extent and that it was not giving me enough CO2. I believe that issue is now rectified and I am going to start swapping the ceramics round more frequently.

I received some easy carbo and was going to treat what I thought was BBA, but I rubbed the algae and it is brown and just came straight off, slimey, not difficult to remove at all. I therefore assume this is diatoms, I have removed it all and syphoned and netted it all out of the water. There was not a lot, just 3 small patches on the bogwood.

A few small plants had melted, probably due to my CO2 mistake, so I removed a few stems that looked too far gone, one of the small crypts and then cleaned out a few bits of the Hydroctyle. The Hydrocotyle is not in bad shape, each bit had some good leaves and bad leaves, I just cleared out all the crud and replanted all the healthy so that looks much better. Hopefully now the CO2 is looking better things will improve.

I have been running now for about 3.5 weeks and since correcting things the other day, I am quite happy with the way it is going, no more plant melt at this time. I am noticing small amounts of diatoms, so I am quite keen to get some clean up crew in there in a week or two. I know it is a bit early for fish, I'm supposed to wait 6-8 weeks, but at the 4 to 5 week point, will it be ok to put in a couple of Amanos?

My water is really soft so I believe I would need to alter it a bit for the shrimp. I used a Nutrafin GH/KH test kit on my tap water last night and that required just two drops for each test to change the water colour. That therefore translates to a GH of 40mg/l and a KH of 20 mg/l if the kit is to be trusted, which I know it is not, but I don't think there is any other way of doing this sort of test until I can afford the PH\TDS pen to get a TDS reading.

I bought a bag of oyster shell chick grit, so I can throw a bag of that in the filter. What is the best thing to do over the next few weeks? Test the tank water rather than the tap water, then add the oyster shell and see what impact that has? Or am I wasting my time with the GH/KH kit? Do I just need to get the PH/TDS pen? I just ordered up my dosing pump so don't really want to fork out for the PH pen this month if possible.

So today was water change and clean up day, came to the aquarium to find the filter was running well below max power. I therefore have the filter a clean out and took the opportunity to remove some of the pan scrubbers from the first tray. Flow is now way better!

The limnophila hippuridoides has been struggling, I have a separate thread about that going in the Tropica forum. I have ordered two pots of established Tropica plant rather than tissue culture, hoping that it will get established. I only have a few tiny stems left, so removed them to make way for the new plants and moved them to the front where they should get more light and CO2, if they grow then I'll move them back with the new plants later.

As I'm no longer trying to push water down on to the stems, I have removed the hose from the skimmer and turned the skimmer so it's on the back glass and pushing water forward to add more flow to the flow from the spray bar.

I notice that most of my smaller plants in the foreground are bending forwards. I suspect this is because they spend all day aiming themselves at the light from the window at the far side of the room rather than the aquarium light as its only on for 6 hours in the evening. Probably beneficial that the CO2 is on 24/7 so they have CO2 in the day.

Anyway, quick phone pic 4 weeks from set up.

291fdc02c4c5d0c51f98b0967e425d70.jpg

Hi Wisey,

Just catching up on the posts for the last week or so.

All I wanted to say is that it still surprises me how quickly a tank with no livestock can get dirty so quickly. I can certainly understand why daily water changes are done for the first week and then every day the next week and so on.

Looking forward to further updates.

Hi Wisey,

Nice tank and setup.

Don't rush it to much, take your time with it and let it settle. Your are doing just fine. Don't use to much flow at the start, wait until the biomass get's bigger. About your plants and the amount of CO2, use more micro and macro's ferts to it.;)

Patrick

My new plant order arrived from TGM yesterday, so I had a planting session last night and also worked on some of the existing plants to tidy them up. I drained 50% of the water, then planted up the new Limnophila H. If I had realised how many stems you got in one Tropica pot I may have only ordered one pot, but I had two, so I planted densely and will let it fight it out. I'm really hoping the more established plant does better in my tank. I moved the DC down next to it and I have lime green bordering on yellow and I can see gentle flow behind the wood, so hoping that it has what it need to survive.

My Ranunculous had a few manky looking bits lower down, but its tricky to deal with in tank as it is so low and all connected by runners. I therefore uprooted all the bad bits, took some good with it, trimmed off the bad and replanted the good. I also took the few bits of Ranunculous from the left of the tank and replanted with the bits over on the right. I think it looks better all together and the space cleared on the left will be filled in with S. Repens in time.

My next task was the S. Repens; I had a Tropica tissue culture pot in my order to start filling in gaps faster. There were so many stems in the pot, but all really tiny, way smaller than the ones I got from CO2 Art recently. It took a long time to get stems ready for planting, but with some patience I planted about 20 very small stems in the area where the Ranunculous had come out and then started filling in gaps between the older stems. Some of the older stems have put on some height, so I topped a few of those and replanted the tops in the gaps.

I decided that I needed to do something about the Alternanthera Reinecki Mini. Most of the plants that went in at the start that switched from emmersed to submersed growth ended up loosing the original leaves and replacing them with new ones. This was not the case with the Alternanthera, each stem had new leaves but also had bad looking lower leaves at substrate level, they were still alive, but not in good condition. My Alternanthera is growing very slowly, I guessed that it may well be trying to put a lot of energy in to maintaining all these old leaves and fighting a loosing battle. I had planted over a wider area than I intended originally, so I uprooted all the Alternanthera, painstakingly removed each bad leaf, then replanted all the plantlets with just the new growth. I retained the roots of each one and planted a little deeper leaving some of the stem and the new good looking leaves above the substrate. Hopefully this was not a mistake, it looks much nicer now. I'm hoping it focuses on new growth now and thrives in time!

My Echinodorus Reni is gradually adding new leaves, but they never get very big. I had to remove one leaf during the problems I had a couple of weeks ago, but still have some original leaves and 3 new ones. I was hoping that this would grow faster. The pictures on the Tropica website are of a plant much taller than what I have. I know that's probably after months of growth and I am only 4 and a bit weeks in, but I had thought it would grow quicker. The growth rate is listed as medium and size 15-30+ cm's. My concern is that if the Limnophila H. now gets going and the Echinodorus does not, then it may end up being too shaded. I'll have to see how that goes, but with it being a small plant and deep substrate it has a long way to reach to get to the Tropica substrate at the bottom. With it being a root feeder, I bought some Seachem Flourish Root Tabs and pushed one in by its roots just in case it will appreciate some more localised ferts.

With all the uprooting, I then drained off a further 20% of the water to clear out crud and ammonia released from the substrate, then refilled with fresh and fired up all the equipment again. All looked good apart from a few smaller bits of Alternanthera that did not have deep enough roots to handle the flow, but I caught those and replanted and they are still in place this morning. I dosed a little extra macro and micro last night to help compensate for the water change, then back to normal dosing of Macro this morning before I left for work.

Back