• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Setting up CO2 Soda Stream Kit

scootamum

I bought a complete CO2 soda stream kit off of you recently, and despite having watched your instructional videos, I still can't get the gas to release from the soda stream canister.

Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi scootamum.. there are a number of things that's probably causing it:

1. Problem with the solenoid. Depending on the brand of solenoid.. you may be able to hear a slight buzzing sound from it if its working.
2. Gas leak in any of the connections.
3. May sound silly but does your cylinder have gas:).. i once panicked 5 days after buying a new cylinder but realised the gas ran out :rolleyes:.

Did you get a quick burst of air when you connected the cylinder to the unit?

What does your pressure guage show?

A picture may also help us understand what the problem is. Try posting one up.

Thanks for replying Worshiper. In answer to your questions:

1. This is the first time I've tried to set up this new kit, and in the instructional video it says not to plug the solenoid in.
2. No gas appears to be coming through at all, I was putting it together to see if it had any leaks before setting it up in my aquarium.
3. I did wonder this myself. It is a new cylinder that I bought earlier on in the week. It was boxed and sealed, but maybe there's something wrong with the needle valve or its empty?

There was no quick burst of air when I connected the cylinder to the unit, and the needle on the pressure gauge doesn't move at all.

I'm considering buying another canister tomorrow. I'm going to need a spare one anyway. At least I should be able to rule out canister fault if it still doesn't work after that. :)

I echo Andy's comment:)
solenoid off = co2 off
solenoid on = co2 on

You need to keep it off when connecting so you don't damage the delicate needle valve. Once connected you need to switch it on. Please invest in a timer plug; it will save you the hassle in the long run.

Let us know how it goes.

I had a similar issue at first, you will probably need to adjust the pin in the adapter that screws onto the bottle. As you screw it in it pushes into the soda stream bottle to open it.

I found that working 1/8th of a turn at a time was best. Connect everything up and keep going until you see the regulator needle show pressure when you tighten it up. (You will hear it too)
If you get gas leaks then back it off 1/8th of a turn and that's your limit.

I found a few turns of ptfe tape worthwhile with these adapters too.

I've got it sorted folks! :D

The needle valve needed a bit more adjustment and the co2 released itself from the cylinder! :D

I'm just checking for leaks now by leaving it for a couple of hours.

This is a dumb question (I know). But how exactly does the solenoid work? Do you leave the valve open, and when the solenoid is on it opens up the needle valve, and when it's off it closes it? :confused:

Thanks everyone for your help. I managed to get it set up yesterday with no further hiccups.

I intend to buy a timer for it. I've got one already, but it is really bulky, so I'm going to have a look around for something a bit more compact. I'll buy two - one for my lights and one for the CO2 kit.

Back