• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ecosmart live thumbs down

Rabbit229

what a pile of crap this system is
Dose any one else have problems on here?
The lights are amazing once I can get on the site and program them, constantly getting booted and once I get on the site it's off line mode
It's cost me over £1000 for my lights that I can't really manage when I want to. I had the thunderstorm set last night while watching a movie. I tried to take the Lightning off but the ecosmart live was off again

The ecosmart bridge its self cost £100

Very unhappy with this :(

25518_P&&op_sharpen=1.jpg

£4.99 from Screwfix! :p

Ok, I was being facetious, but high tech or low tech, spending a lot of money on a web based cloud computing control system for aquarium lights sounds like firstly a rip off and secondly a recipe for disaster if the website is down or you have a problem with your internet at home for a few days and such like. You can run a high tech tank with a light and timer, you just need a light that comes on and goes off at the right time. Adding unnecessary points of failure in to the system results in a less reliable system and usually costs more. This is not coming from someone who is an expert on Aquarium lights, its coming from someone with 15 years IT background.

You would expect a system that dont fail after paying so much.

I don't know much about the system, has it been around a long time or is it a fairly new product to market? Maybe teething problems that they will iron out in time? I understand your disappointment though, I was annoyed when I spent a tenner on a drop checker that was more style over substance and didn't work well, never mind a bag of sand on a lighting system!

from what I can see' it's been around since 2012 and now doing a bit of research on the faults im getting. I'm not the only one!
I would not recomended this

Although the freshwater version hasn't been around very long I think the marine version has, using a similar system, and from what I can gather it's set a bit of a bench mark.
I haven't brought the wireless doobry. I plug mine straight in to the lap top using the USB cable provided when I'm programming it and it's worked fine for me...so far...
I agree though, I can't really see the advantage of a cloud based programming system for the customer...there are just too many things that can go wrong. It should be programmable without.

Edit: maybe you could direct you concerns at ITC Aquatics, EcoTech Marine distributor, http://www.itcaquatics.co.uk/ They are after all one of the forums sponsors.

Last edited:
The contact below may also help...

HI
...Also if you anyone is having problems configuring the Radion then please feel free to give me a call and I can step you through it.
07970 109797

There are a couple of points worth doing before installing.

Make sure you have Java installed (Windows) and make sure its up to date. (Mac and Windows) Also temporarily disable virus checker as a few kill the connection manager dead.

if all else fails give me a call 07970 109797

Regards Jez

what a pile of crap this system is
Dose any one else have problems on here?
The lights are amazing once I can get on the site and program them, constantly getting booted and once I get on the site it's off line mode
It's cost me over £1000 for my lights that I can't really manage when I want to. I had the thunderstorm set last night while watching a movie. I tried to take the Lightning off but the ecosmart live was off again

The ecosmart bridge its self cost £100

Very unhappy with this :(

I know this is an old thread, by oh my! this software/light is bad...

-> almost none of the features in it work properly, and trying to update the lighting schedule is a nightmare, in my case more times than not, requiring a factory reset and recalibration of the light.

-> the light has very noticeable stepping in the intensities as it increases due to many of the secondary leds (red, green and blue) having only around 4 available intensities

-> it purports to have the ability to do a moonlight feature, but intensities below 3% are ignored by the light, and it's quite a bright light so 3% is massive overkill for a moonlight.

-> unless you have a fairly large tank, you'll need a wide angle lens upgrade which is extra money

However the most irritating thing is the 'customer service' - emails go completely ignored. Even more annoyingly, I tried asking questions on a reef forum where the company has a 'sponsors' area for users to ask questions about their products. I asked a few questions and the only reply I got was 'have you tried contacting support', I explained I had and that I'd been largely ignored. Ecotech's response to this? ... they closed the thread.

Thanks guys, that's really 'awesome' of you, and thanks for selling me your light that's a load of old balls.

(it's been so difficult not to swear during this post)

I'm pretty sure this must be a widespread 'issue', why don't they just hire the 1/4 of a coder that they would need to address the absolutely dreadful software?

I've had problem from day one. Still having problems now. Just had one light sent back from repair. As Soon as I plugged it in' the next light will not sync with the other 2.
This is the response I got from customer service today......
I have our international rep contacting ITC Aquatics in the UK. We are waiting on a response.

This has been ongoing for weeks now!

I paid £1000 for these light and rail. Very disappointed

Back