• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Intensity vs duration?

Curious for thoughts on the balance here.

Is there a better approach? e.g. higher intensity for a shorter period or lower intensity for longer?

I am high tech and have my TMC tile at 35% for 7 hours with an hour ramp up and down. At this point I am getting growth and my previous algae issues have pretty much gone.

Just curious if I may see better growth by dropping the duration and upping the intensity?

It's better to keep the intensity lower and have a longer duration.

You have already pretty much answered your question with this statement.

At this point I am getting growth and my previous algae issues have pretty much gone.

If you increase the intensity you may get faster growth but only if the CO2 (and ferts) are able to keep up with the new demand. If CO2 (and ferts) are not spot on for the higher intensity then you will back to battling algae again.

Great question, one that I have been considering asking myself. Does the same apply if you want red plants to go red, it is still better to have a longer duration and a lower intensity? Or will reds need intensity? I have Alternanthera Reinecki Mini and its green at the moment with a TMC tile at 20% for 6 hours. I'm also about to add Limnophila hippuridoides and would like that to turn red in time.

I think red plants need a minimum intensity to turn red but co2, iron etc also need to be good.

I believe I played this ball in another post.
First, there is much to say about light and to much to cover here.
Secondly, light behaves differently in water then in air. That means that light penetrates in water far less then in air and then I'm not even talking about the colours.
To explain why I think it's better to have more intensity than duration I give this as example.
When you dim your lights, the light intensity don't reaches far enough in your tank to get your plants photosynthesised on the right way (and trigger's algue).
For example: On a dull, grey day plants aren't growing the same like as on a sunny, bright day. But plants need sun to flower and grow.
So I believe it's better to have more intensity and less duration to have them growing in the right way.
Of course every tank is different in the equation related to light, CO2 and ferts but the light is what plants get's going on.

Patrick
(sorry for me bad English)

Varying opinions so far it seems.

I'm using the TMC controller which has a ramp range up to 4 hours. I may try upping my setting to the full 4 hours and then having it hit a higher intensity for a couple of hours before starting to ramp down again. This would emulate sunlight patterns more accurately I guess?

I'm currently using a 15 minute ramp up and down within my 6 hour photoperiod. I'm fairly convinced that light is my restricting factor right now, but then I know that is the biggest newbie mistake that I can make and I turn it up and could get algae. My alternanthera is really slow to grow and is green rather than red. My hydrocotyle tripartita is almost non-existent on growth. It took time to get established, it was tissue culture and all the emmersed growth died back and I have cleaned all that out the tank and just have the new submersed growth, but it is tiny, the leaves are about 5-8 mm wide and each stem is less than 3 cm tall and it just sits there quite happily, not melting, but not growing. It's close to the front, gets flow, I can see it moving, drop checker is green, I'm dosing EI, its in the front corner so not as bright light as other areas, but its not shaded. According to Tropica its needs are low CO2 and medium light, so I can only assume that light is the restricting factor. I think another interesting point is that all my smaller foreground plants, the Hydrocotyle, the Ranunculous, the Alternanthera, the Monte Carlo and the S. Repens are ALL bending forwards towards the front of the tank, which looks to me like they are reaching for the light from the window at the far side of the room and that is their dominant light source for most of the day, the lights come on in the evening at 17:00.

How high have you mounted your tile above the water and how deep is your water? My tile is quite high, about 30 cm above the water and my water depth is about 40 cm, so not only am I running at 20% intensity but it is a good 65-70 cm from the plants. I'm tempted to try a little higher on either intensity or duration as I am algae free apart from a couple of tiny bits of diatoms, but I am reluctant to increase both together, so would really appreciate some more input from people on this thread.

To give an example, 4 weeks from planting this is my Hydrocotyle.

f7e280706095dd8ed155c1bebe928b28.jpg

This is my setup at the moment
4C0BD164-A45A-4A35-8238-23F29B038716_zpses5tyfwv.jpg

Light is on a standard TMC mount and the water sits just above the white trim at the top, it's about 20-25cm. Depth is about 35cm.
The room gets a lot of natural light as you can see, having co2 24/7 has helped here I think.

Yeah, CO2 24/7 has helped me massively too I believe. I'm pretty sure I will stay like that, but may run an air pump from lights off until, I don't know, maybe 06:00, just to help off gas a bit of CO2 overnight ready for shrimp and fish going in soon.

I think I am going to wait until the weekend, give it the rest of this week and monitor what if any growth there is and then make a decision. Really hoping a few more folk weigh in on this thread with some experiences of their own.

Back