• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

400 gallon.

thx for thinking along, but i just want south american plants in it, i am strange that way;)

Crypt balansae for back left corner maybe?
Does not grow too fast, but will grow to near surface with time.(month's)
Lot's of pot's of crypt Parva for some ground cover.? Or maybe bucephla (sp)?

Ahh,I see.;)

Your tank is a stunner hope my tank gets somewhere as close to yours one day

Lovely,err,, I mean handsome fishes.

Been "neglecting" the tank (still feeding and waterchanges) to see which way it want to go. I am trying to find a dfferent look.
Today the floaters needed some "bushwacking".
Before:
19222886938_8ab12cdd9f_b.jpgDSC_6445_copy by Ed Prust, on Flickr

After:
19222883188_6640a8cb4b_b.jpgDSC_6447_copy by Ed Prust, on Flickr

That's some growth!

Hi-rise floaters :D

Quick update:
20121852956_5427b464f0_b.jpgDSC_6452_copy by Ed Prust, on Flickr

thinking about removing the hardscape and replacing it with some thinner/lighter branches. Need to replace the nymphaea under the center back spotlight, will do that next week

Nice journal and tank, with videos it took an hour to digest the whole thing in one go. I admire your dedication to biotype and the unusual species you have managed to locate!
I know it's old news now, but it's a shame you never managed to lick the BBA and had to go low tech. Am I right to say you had flow from 4 sources:
- Eheim filter adding CO2 (CO2 level higher than tank levels)
- Sump return pump (CO2 level lower than tank levels)
- 2x Koralia jets alternately coming on and off (for mixing) causing strong but irregular flow.
If so, then I am not surprised you had BBA. In a tank of that size there would not be good mixing and any given location would receive varying levels of CO2 throughout the day. This, as we know, tends to induce BBA. Did you ever try putting CO2 on the sump return flow? I suspect that would have worked better, even if CO2 were at lower levels the coverage would have been less patchy which the plants could have adjusted to.

Both the ejects from the Eheim and the sump came in the same "chamber"in the tank, i even had extra CO2 added to the sump outflow, i had a nice pH drop, 1.2-1.3 points.The flow from the koralias was to strong (smal hard jet) to leave on 24/7.
In hindsite if i ever want to go high tech again i will go for a large spraybar to get the flow i need. On the other hand i had great results with just a little added CO2 a few years ago (one large spiral diffusor in the "inflow chamber). Right now i am trying to get a more natural look (something you "could" encounter in the wild) while doing something else then the regular wood/one sword/floaters/leaflitter ones. Hence i am always scouring the internet for new underwater biotope picrures to get ideas. Luckily there is more and more then ever findable. If i get what i want then i might start adding some CO2 to enhance growth.

I've loved this journal - it's been a big inspiration to me for my next (and first big) tank. I really like the last pic, love the slim vertical growth...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back