• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Forests Underwater by Takashi Amano at Lisbon Oceanarium

Really nice. Quite surprising to see how much surface rippling they have.
Hey guys,

Quick video from my last visit, this was edited by my hopefully future brother in law ;) on my visit last week. I make an appearance in the video somewhere lol was shot and edited by him, hope you enjoy, didn't want to make this too long, just enough to open an appetite and make you guys visit to see for yourselves :)

Watch in HD.

Cheers
Paulo

Really nice. Quite surprising as well to see how much surface rippling they have.

Some photos from the visit on the 15th July 2015, the camera was not great, best I could do :)

DSC01391.jpg
DSC01407.jpg
DSC01412.jpg
DSC01420.jpg
DSC01423.jpg
DSC01427.jpg
DSC01441.jpg
DSC01449.jpg
DSC01472.jpg
DSC01497.jpg
DSC01499.jpg
DSC01509.jpg
DSC01515.jpg
DSC01525.jpg
DSC01533.jpg
DSC01539.jpg
DSC01549.jpg
DSC01558.jpg
DSC01563.jpg
DSC01595.jpg
DSC01601.jpg
DSC01616.jpg
DSC01631.jpg
DSC01639.jpg
DSC01647.jpg
DSC01684.jpg
DSC01690.jpg
DSC01699.jpg
DSC01717.jpg
DSC01725.jpg
DSC01733.jpg
DSC01752.jpg
DSC01770.jpg
DSC01780.jpg
DSC01785.jpg

As good as it looks, it's starting to feel more and more like a nicely kept garden. I would love to see the plants grow more to their full potential. the wayt they grow in nature, not manicured into perfection like Bonsai. But hey, that's just me:D

As good as it looks, it's starting to feel more and more like a nicely kept garden. I would love to see the plants grow more to their full potential. the wayt they grow in nature, not manicured into perfection like Bonsai. But hey, that's just me:D
Me too... I don't like this in small tanks but in monster tanks it looks worse, at least IMO. Actually there is a big difference between the manicured parts (trimmed shaping the plants, unnatural transition with colors, etc.) and the ones looking wilder (ferns, stems plants not perfectly trimmed, etc.). Anyway it's awesome... excellent!

Jordi

Yes, mighty impressive but I agree...loking like topiary in places. I'd really like to see Amano apply his talents to a pure 40m Biotope

Guys, is there any available information on technical side of this huge tank? What light do they use? Probably a lot of CO2? Earlier there was link to video about filtration system. Anything else? Stadard ADA ferts (in packs by 100 liters maybe)? Water changes? Do you think 30% per week, tens of tons of water maybe. I'm not kidding, I simply can't imagine the technical side of such system.

I think you guys are missing the point, there are large scale freshwater biotopes in many public aquariums around the world. This is meant to be a "Nature Aquarium" to mimic what we do in the aquascaping world, look at the Sumida aquariums, same thing.

I am sure once this temporary exhibition goes, then they will use the space for a biotope of some sort, but maybe I am wrong but that was not the intention here!

I think you guys are missing the point, there are large scale freshwater biotopes in many public aquariums around the world.
I agree with this. For large public aquariums like these, I think its easier to create/maintain a biotope compared to a NA scape. I haven't personally done a biotope, but my impression is that biotopes are hard for a hobbyist because of the availability of critters and plants. Large public aquariums can get any fish they want, any plants they want and recreate any water condition on a large scale, so they won't run into availability issues like hobbyists.

Guys, is there any available information on technical side of this huge tank? What light do they use? Probably a lot of CO2? Earlier there was link to video about filtration system. Anything else? Stadard ADA ferts (in packs by 100 liters maybe)? Water changes? Do you think 30% per week, tens of tons of water maybe. I'm not kidding, I simply can't imagine the technical side of such system.
Some information is available in Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine:

8550 litres of Aquasoil
20 tons of volcanic stones
78 large driftwood pieces
46 types of aquatic plants
10,000 fish from 40 different species

I'd also like to know how much of CO2 they have to pump in. Probably have a CO2 production facility in the room next door! Water changes shouldn't be a problem, these guys are probably experts at recycling water.

Great video and images Paulo, still gutted i was there 2 days early but do plan to make it back. Did they give any indication of how long it will be running for?

It sure is an achievement and my hat comes off to ADA for setting up and the Lisbon team for maintaining.

I did hear a rumour of a full reef crest tank as the next project........?

They had problems at the beginning and some of the plants adopted hardly. Some of them melted too. And the opening ceremony was too close.

In Niigata and Japan they have soft water. So Niigata and Tokyo/Sumida is kind of the same condition. No need special care.
This was the first time when ADA built a monster outside of Japan. And the water parameter was quite different in Portugal. They used Ion-Exchange-Resin to filter the water. And the plants had really hard times to work with this condition.

I do not know what was the solution, but i know about it as they also sent an email to me about the issue.

Wonderful work what the team built really and how the maintenance team pushed the limits to stand up to the highest standards.
I am not 100% happy with some of the trimmings, but insane amount of work. Thanks to the Lisbon team to came up with this idea first time in the EU.

Back