• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amano RIP?

A very sad day, although I am only really beginning my journey into the nature aquarium world I have seen the amazing works this man created, a true talent.

My condolences to all who loved him. I just recently picked up the hobby again. Watching his stunning and inspirational works realy was a trigger for me to get going again. He lives on in our hearts and scapes all over the world.

Yesterday I was watching a Toyota AE86 video and wondered what ADA shop was like back in 1983. :(

Hugely sad news, the world will certainly be a poorer place without his genius, but his legacy and creations will live on ...

RIP

I am very sad to hear the news today of the passing of a great and truly inspirational man, for very special reasons...

In 1997 I was off work for a whole year following a very serious accident. I had an aquarium at the time and I had just bought the book Nature Aquarium, First Edition by Takashi Amano, and I was completely blown away by it. I decided I was going to try his techniques for the first time. A few months later my firts proper planted tank was finished, I was so proud of it I took a load of photographs and sent them with a letter straight to Mr. Amano at ADA in Niigata. I told him I had been ill and that his book and my work on the aquarium had taken my my mind off it while I got better.

I thought no more of it until I got a letter from the man himself via his private secretary. The letter said that Mr. Amano thanked me for the photographs and the aquascape I had created showed great promise. He also asked me for a favour and would he mind if he telephoned me to tell me what it was he needed.

Sure enough he called me and told me that he had been trying to import a special breed of dog for his daughters Birthday. The breed of dog is only bred in England but the breeder would not sell one to him because he did not trust him, what he needed was a sponsor to vouch for him in the UK. He provided me with the address of the breeder and I wrote to them explaining who Mr Amano was and that he was a lover of nature and would never do anything to harm the dog.

I never heard back from the breeder, but about a month later a parcel arrived from Japan. I say parcel, it was a box measuring almost a metre cubed and weighed a ton. The top of the box was covered in Japanese postage, when I added it up and converted it into UK Sterling the amount of postage alone was over £200.00.

I struggled to get the box inside the house, but when I opened it, it was full to the brim with every book Takashi Amano had published, inside each book was a personal message and the wax seal of his own personal 'chop' signature. The books were all in Japanese so I couldn't read anything, but I didn't have to, the pictures told me all I needed to know. Not only that but also in the box was 24 issues of his monthly magazine published over the lsat two years in Japan, each one still inside its own sealed plastic cover. I have never opened them and still have them to this day. I have always treasured them and will do so now more than ever.

Thank you Mr Takashi Amano. R.I.P.

Steve
Muito obrigado
1954 - 2015 - Legend.

Last edited:
He is in the reason I got interested in the Planted Aquarium seeing his aquascapes and discovering his passion for the natural world, such a sad loss he has given so much

RIP Takashi, the greatest creative influence in my life

This hobby of ours has got me through some tough times in my life and I know the aquascaping hobby would not be what it is without this very gifteed man. He will remain an inspiration to many for a long time to come.

Rest in Peace Mr Amano.

I'm sat in nandos at a service station reading this sad thread. I started out from home at 6am to make the trip to The Green Machine and am taking a break on the way home. Little did I know all the ADA jewels (tanks/products) they display would seem more poignant now than when I was in the shop.

I'm not ashamed to say I was a little damp around the eyes when I read the first few posts.

What a life! Athlete, photographer and father of modern planted tank movement. Master of so many skills. Truly a polymath.

A life cannot be measured, but the way those who survive you think and feel about you gives an emotional quotient. Few have met him and yet the joy his philosophy has spread so far and wide even touches those who never use ADA and just emulate his style. No one in the hobby was untouched, we all felt 'felt his presence'.

I'm going home for an ADA video marathon :(

I am very sad to hear the news today of the passing of a great and truly inspirational man, for very special reasons...

In 1997 I was off work for a whole year following a very serious accident. I had an aquarium at the time and I had just bought the book Nature Aquarium, First Edition by Takashi Amano, and I was completely blown away by it. I decided I was going to try his techniques for the first time. A few months later my firts proper planted tank was finished, I was so proud of it I took a load of photographs and sent them with a letter straight to Mr. Amano at ADA in Niigata. I told him I had been ill and that his book and my work on the aquarium had taken my my mind off it while I got better.

I thought no more of it until I got a letter from the man himself via his private secretary. The letter said that Mr. Amano thanked me for the photographs and the aquascape I had created showed great promise. He also asked me for a favour and would he mind if he telephoned me to tell me what it was he needed.

Sure enough he called me and told me that he had been trying to import a special breed of dog for his daughters Birthday. The breed of dog is only bred in England but the breeder would not sell one to him because he did not trust him, what he needed was a sponsor to vouch for him in the UK. He provided me with the address of the breeder and I wrote to them explaining who Mr Amano was and that he was a lover of nature and would never do anything to harm the dog.

I never heard back from the breeder, but about a month later a parcel arrived from Japan. I say parcel, it was a box measuring almost a metre cubed and weighed a ton. The top of the box was covered in Japanese postage, when I added it up and converted it into UK Sterling the amount of postage alone was over £200.00.

I struggled to get the box inside the house, but when I opened it, it was full to the brim with every book Takashi Amano had published, inside each book was a personal message and the wax seal of his own personal 'chop' signature. The books were all in Japanese so I couldn't read anything, but I didn't have to, the pictures told me all I needed to know. Not only that but also in the box was 24 issues of his monthly magazine published over the lsat two years in Japan, each one still inside its own sealed plastic cover. I have never opened them and still have them to this day. I have always treasured them and will do so now more than ever.

Thank you Mr Takashi Amano. R.I.P.

Steve
Muito obrigado
1954 - 2015 - Legend.
That made me cry reading that.....a true Gentleman and nature lover....Mr Takashi Amano!
hoggie

I'm still trying to get head around the news. I live and breath aquascaping and although I knew of Amano and ADA, I always thought that it was for the elite of this world. I couldn't afford his products and thought they where overpriced so have only ever used a few of his cheaper products. He was a God in the hobby and I am a mere peasant. I just hope that one day soon I will take on board his teachings and create something close to what he could create. I have his book ordered. I used to frown at his minions but today I get them. I just hope that their hearts are not too heavy and that they now go forward like the disciples did, and spread the word of how to be a master of creating nature.
RIP Mr. Amano :(

Was reading his first book again last night and that first book is just something else, if you love aquascaping you need to read it.

Back