• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

African Biotope - Reduce Light for Anubias?

Hello, I currently have a Roma 240 planted out with a number of Anubias, which I have moderate success with, in that some leaves get covered in algae. The tank it currently lit with two 40W T8 Power-Glo tubes and I have attached a photo below.

Having had this tank set up for a couple of years, I've decided to attempt a 'loose' African Biotope Aquarium especially for Mormyrid fish (which I have kept successfully in the past). Mormyrids prefer low light levels, and I have read that reducing light levels may also reduce the algae growth on the Anubias'.

My first question is - would reducing the light level help reduce algae on the Anubias plants without seriously halting their growth?

...my second question is - what methods can I use to dim the lights? Most T8 tubes that fit the Roma 240 appear to be 40W.

...and my final and third questions is - would I require any CO2 injection or plant fertiliser for the Anubias' to thrive?

Many thanks in advance!

WP_20150804_20_48_03_Pro.jpg

Anubias do not need co2, although like all plants will do better with.

Yes lowering light will certainly help the anubias.

You can either remove a tube if you have more than one. Or can even use tape to wrap around the tube at intervals. This will lower the light given off from the tube

Your anubias' look pretty healthy in the pictures though so why change it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floating plants could provide a nice natural looking dimmed/dappled effect, although you may struggle to find an African floater (or not).

Thank you all for your kind replies.

Sk3lly
Although my anubias does grow quite happily under the current light conditions, I do get some algae growth, and also I would like to reduce the light levels to make Mormyrids more comfortable. I like your comments about removing one tube, but are Fluval light units not on a circuit? I know Juwel light units are. Also, if you wrap tape around the tube, does it not burn/melt? What about turning a reflector upside down? Has anyone tried this before and would the light unit overheat?

Crossochelius
I do have a small amount of duck weed which I bought a week or so ago to see what difference it makes, but I'm not entirely happy with it as it's not keeping to the African theme.

dw1305
I'd certainly like to take you up on your offer Darrel. I'll PM you!

I am unsure of how your lighting works as i use LED's. Really its just advice ive seen given and not from my own experience. The repositioning of reflectors is also advised often so yes thats a good option

I do have a small amount of duck weed which I bought a week or so ago
Bought!? Don't ever pay for duckweed, just walk to any pond or still water and collect it.

Pistia is nice :)

I took the front bulb out last night and hey presto the rear bulb still works, so unlike Juwel light units, Fluval light units can run one bulb independently. The lighting looks very brooding now as it shows all the shadows of my resin rock background, although the front is rather dark so I may purchase a few spot lights to highlight a few keys hidy hole entrances along the front. I'll wait to see what affect the Pistias have first (kindly donated by dw1305). I'll post pictures soon!

Can't believe I paid for duckweed!:facepalm:

Back