• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light for full coverage 90 CM

zanguli-ya-zamba

Seedling
Hi,

As my title says, I am looking for a new light for my tank. My current light is a 4x36 PC from Natural Aquario.
The problem is that the length of the light is too short ! I don't have a full coverage and plants on the edge left and right are suffering a bit ! Mostly on the left because there is a tall piece of wood blocking a bit the light. But even before adding the wood the two sides was not really covered by light.
So I would like to purchase a new light that covers all the tank, if I want to make that move it is in prevision of future scares where there will be more hardscape, or even to correct the light problem when a huge central plant can shade the sides plants !!

I have been thinking of T5 because it is cheap and easy.
LED is an option but I am sure I will still suffer problems of light coverage because they will be short in length also, and they are very pricey.

T5 :
ATI Sunpower 4x39 w dimmable

LED :
2Aqualighter Rampe LED V2 7000K 90 cm
or
LED RAZOR 160W/ 8000 Kelvin

Can I have some advices to choose a good light solution for my tank please ? Knowing that I need full coverage.

Regards

Last edited:
I have one for sale Nemo Led freshwater 54wat nearly new :)

Thanks

For my 90cm I ended up choosing Kessil, Ecotech Radion XR15 FW (there are a few journals that feature this light, Mr Teapot & Troi & here) was the runner up.
I looked at the Razor, even brought one home BUT it was not going to provide even light coverage at the "ends" of the tank.
Re cost, perhaps you can find something in the Classified section though shipping may be an issue (make sure you have good insurance that covers breakage etc - read the fine print!)

After reluctantly switching from T5 to LED, I'm a convert :) (didn't think I'd like the point source, but it's amazing, much more "real" perception of light than T5)

This thread has some discussion

For my 90cm I ended up choosing Kessil, Ecotech Radion XR15 FW (there are a few journals that feature this light, Mr Teapot & Troi & here) was the runner up.
I looked at the Razor, even brought one home BUT it was not going to provide even light coverage at the "ends" of the tank.
Re cost, perhaps you can find something in the Classified section though shipping may be an issue (make sure you have good insurance that covers breakage etc - read the fine print!)

After reluctantly switching from T5 to LED, I'm a convert :) (didn't think I'd like the point source, but it's amazing, much more "real" perception of light than T5)

This thread has some discussion

Hi Alto

thanks for your impute !!
So you have the same dimension of my tank ?!
As I understand you are using the Radion XR15 ? Do you get full coverage ? because this light is very small, so I am a bit surprise that it covers all the tank.
Before I both the full NA set I wanted to buy from NA only the tank and buy from an other place the Radion 30, but then decided to go with full NA set.
But even the Radion 30 says that it have a coverage of 80 / 80 cm so I don't know if it will resolve my problems. But since more than a year I have a rush on these Radion light so ...
Can you take pictures for me of your tank to see light coverage please ? If you can take a picture of the center and than the sides ?
When you took the Razor did you choose the 90 cm ?

If some one have also some other proposition please like that I can compare

regards

Hi,
I've got the aqualighter 3 with the controler and I think it's fantastic. It's got three different channels which you can adjust from 0 to 99. Two channels are white led and the third one is red and orange led. You really need the controler as they are very bright
I've got the email from one of the sales man if you need.
Voilà

Cheers,
Manu

Hi I was considering the aqua lighter but I am a bit afraid that with only one unit I will not sufficient light as one unit represent one T5 so I will need two of them.
Do you know if it is possible to controls two aqualighter with one controller ?
I would like to have a light that can be on the high light side, that I can control. My skills have evolved and will continue to evolve so I don't want to spend money now and in two years I will have to buy another one because it will not be enough strong for my new skills.

Manu if you can send me some picture of your light and a picture of your tank so I can see light coverage (width) that would be great.

Regards

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Hi,

Sure, I'll take some pictures tomorrow at different brightness so it gives you a good idea of what you could achieve. By the way, there are two versions of the aqualighter 3, the last one is almost the double in lumens. I'm not sure if you can control two units with the one controler, we could ask the manufacturer though. But I don't think you would ever need two units. I'm running mine at:
Channel 1 at 50%, channel 2 at 55% channel 3 at 50% and it's very bright :)

Cheers!

Hello !

So here are the pictures :

the three channels at 10%:
IMG_3680.JPG

at 20%:
IMG_3681.JPG

at 30%:
IMG_3682.JPG

at 40%:
IMG_3683.JPG

at 50%:
IMG_3684.JPG

at 60%:
IMG_3685.JPG

at 70%:
IMG_3686.JPG

at 80%:
IMG_3687.JPG

at 90%:
IMG_3688.JPG

at 99%:
IMG_3689.JPG

This is an exemple of a warm light (sunset):
IMG_3690.JPG

and this just both white channels on 10%:
IMG_3691.JPG

I have used the camera in manual mode so opening and speed settings were always the same on every shot.
As you can see, it is very bright when the three channels are at 99%, the poor fish went blind ;).
I think two units would be far too much unless you are planning in having a lot of floating plants which might create to much shade in the front and rear bottom of the tank.

Let me know if you have any question :)

Cheers,
Manu

Hi Manu
thank you very much for you pictures !!! that really kind from you.
I will let you know what I will choose. I am still searching which light I will choose.
I am considering a EVERGROW 2081. But the only shop that accept to do me a custom spectrum for this light is in USA ! the others (France) doesn't want to do the job.

best regards

Hi guys

I wanted to scratch the old dust of this topic. I am still looking for a LED light for full coverage of my 90 cm tank.
I have stopped my research but now since I have fishes in that tank (since 6 months) I am a bit concerne about a new light. Why because I have noticed many time when power goes off (Yes power goes off many time a day in kinshasa) when it comes back sometime at night, the fishes are completely flash and suffer from this sudden light on. the ones that suffer most are the ember tetras, when they are shoot suddenly by the light on they become pale completely disoriented some of them are laying on the substrate like they have been shocked are electrify.
So now I think it's the good time to change my light for a unit that can gradually increase the intensity when turning on!!
I am looking for a stylish led light that I can hang on to my ceiling (my actual set up) or that I can put on the tank. I have a nice budget as I am planning to buy a unite for at least 4 or 5 years, so for a long term investment budget can be higher.
So members please I need your help.

I have seen the Kessil that george Farmer is using on his new 120 cm, but I can only find the marine version.

thanks for your help members

cheers

How's your mobile phone service?
You might look at lights that offer Smart Phone control app's

Contact Kessil about sourcing the A160 Tuna Sun, they can also answer questions as to what happens with Power On/Off/On situations, at present only the AP700 (newest marine luminaire) is listed with phone app control but as the Controller on the A160 etc series is sold as an accessory, hopefully they'll have a phone app version available soon.
I suspect that most lights will just flash on after a power outage BUT some of the LED's do list a 15min sunrise/sunset function that seems to be part of the On/Off process (ie not adjustable, lamp always engages this program)

Kessil still lists the A150 on their site so I suspect they still have stock - it lacks the tunable spectrum though & cant see any connectors for the controller on the manual diagram, it's also lower "light" than the A160

Hi Alto

thanks for your impute !!
So you have the same dimension of my tank ?!
As I understand you are using the Radion XR15 ? Do you get full coverage ? because this light is very small, so I am a bit surprise that it covers all the tank.
Before I both the full NA set I wanted to buy from NA only the tank and buy from an other place the Radion 30, but then decided to go with full NA set.
But even the Radion 30 says that it have a coverage of 80 / 80 cm so I don't know if it will resolve my problems. But since more than a year I have a rush on these Radion light so ...
Can you take pictures for me of your tank to see light coverage please ? If you can take a picture of the center and than the sides ?
When you took the Razor did you choose the 90 cm ?

If some one have also some other proposition please like that I can compare

regards
:oops::sorry: don't think I ever saw this (unless I answered in a pm)

I have 2 Kessil A160 on a 90 x45 x 53 (high) tank - this provides good coverage, even the A360 will "fall off" at the edges in length - if you look at the PAR diagrams (I think they are linked in that other discussion) you'll see the #'s & can decide if it would be suitable, it will have quite a bit of light spill front to back (compared to 2 x A160)

If XR15, you'd also need 2 for a 90cm tank, again look at the PAR diagrams for light curve/shape

For the Razor, I had the 90cm but actual LED's are placed almost the same as for the 60cm ie LED's are centered & both "ends" are vacant of emitters - I was very disappointed that Maxspect chose this method of putting a 90cm unit on the market

How's your mobile phone service?
You might look at lights that offer Smart Phone control app's

Hi Alto

Again thank you for your help !!
Really thank you for pointing that most of the light just flash on when power outage !

As you said it will be a good idea to contact them. I will send an email tomorrow.
Do you or some one have an idea of a brand that turn on gradually when going on off when there is a power outage (like pulling off the connection wire) ?
Alto right know you are using the Kessil on your tank ? I have almost the same tank as yours 90x45x50 cm can you send me a pic of the tank with the lights please.
Maybe can you try to disconnect your lamp to see how it react when reconnect ?
Thanks again

I have no photo talent & it's very difficult given the reflections to get a decent tank photo + camera is not working at present (waiting for updated model release) :sorry:

I have the Gooseneck as that is what lfs stocked, I think the mounting arms might be more elegant, but the gooseneck is very convenient to swing lamps aside when working in the tank.
I did consider suspending the lamps but had no convenient plug & decided the cords would be more distracting than the Goosenecks - no one who views the tank, seems to notice the Goosenecks (I think Kessil could've done better - these are very clunky compared to the lamp design)

I don't have a controller so lamps just come on at whatever setting - I always start with minimal intensity & turn off lights in same manner.
It power goes On/Off/On during the photoperiod, lamps just come back on at whatever intensity they were at, when interrupted.

The Controller would need to perceive the power interrupt as a restart to time zero, for the "sunrise" function to occur
If you have a Smartphone & app, you would be able to just reset the program so that "sunrise" function would occur upon power return IF you had knowledge of the power outage

I'm convinced I saw an LED advertising sunrise/sunset function whenever lamp turned ON/OFF but can't think what brand :oops:

Back