• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

NA 65cm - Slow Burner

Troi recommended that I watched your "slow burner" video as inspiration. Wow he's not wrong your aquarium it's beautiful!
I'm was hoping to put a high energy tank together shortly but was worried about juggling life, children and the aquarium. Your beautiful tank now has me thinking. Am I making too much work for myself :)
I was considering a 2ft cube aquarium lit by 4x 24w t5 inch in a canopy style hood on timers, with co2 controlled by solenoid and a peri pump for fertz also both on timers. Aquatic soil base capped with Limpopo sand as a substrate Wood will form the hard landscaping.
My concern is whether I can keep up with the aquarium, What do you think? I have the hardware except for the aquarium can I adapt my ideas and gear to this style of aquarium. The aquarium foot print has to be 60cm x 60cm as a friend kindly made me a cabinet as a gift, but I can easily change the height. Is opti white a good choice?

Cheers john

Hi John

Thank you.

With regards your set-up you can quite easily have a high impact aquascape but remain low maintenance. The key is using just enough light to support plant growth. You can still grow nice plants, especially if you use decent substrate, ferts, CO2 and circulation. Get these factors right and light is almost secondary. Too many folk focus on the light first, then skimp on the rest, and wonder why they may get algae.

So in your case 2 x 24w T5 may be ample.

I say give it a go. If you find it's too much trouble then at least you've tried.

Cheers,
George

Thank you George. Your right I'll just have to give it a go. I'm spending to much time hanging around the edge of the pool time to take the plunge.

Nice video.
How do you find tetra amapa? It seems another tetra (don't remember its name) is more active and really stands out.

Excellent demonstration video, I think this site could do with more of the same to help less experienced aquascapers develop their skills.
Great branding as well;)

I have to say I am dumbfounded as to how you have so much light and are not facing the issues I am. I've got good CO2, good flow yet plants are suffering. Dosing EI as well. I've just dropped my lights to 12% to try and help things out!

How do you get such high light on the go from the off without any problems?

Amazing tank george a true inspiration makes me want to get back on track and give it another attempt been struggling with time lately as daughter 10 month and son nearly 3 but everything still sitting there wating to be plugged in ☺ think i am going to do low teck plants same as this with low co2 and low lights but keep the updates coming

also loved the vid of you showing your maintenance as really helps people out and gives you better understanding, a full session of filter cleaning and attomiser cleaning would be good if you ever get time or any other how to vids would be very helpful

Thanks dean

Back