• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Snails invasion

zanguli-ya-zamba

Seedling
Hi guys,

I have a small problem.
As the title says, I have a snails invasion and it's bothering me a lot ...
There is hundreds of snails in the tank and they excrement every where I have to vacuum the substrate every 3 days. If not the substrate is completely cover of snail excrement.
I know a technique ! turn the CO2 to have deadly concentration of CO2 in the water. But I don't want to mess CO2 in my tank as it is perfect now ...
I don't have any fish inside the tank so I am not worry to kill anything else (I know this is cruel) but I really need to get rid of them, as they are giving me hard life on cleaning the tank every 3 days.

Thanks for your help
cheers

I used to put a kale in the bottom of the tank.

Next day you´ll have plenty of them over it. Just took it off. ;)

Repeat the process.

Big hug

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZiFBh3w-PVhxHYJNMDFVj3Wl4pnxUvvmPCuAXZTnbXfSUjaeYbw.jpg

Put some food in the bottle in the evening, remove in the morning.
(all underwater ofcourse :cool:)

Asassin snails are totally boss at this, as their name suggests.
If you can't get hold of them then traps, either the bottle variety or a piece of vegetable as suggested is your best bet. Gassing snails is not as easy as it may seem.
You could also try loaches - but then of course you would have loaches. :)

//Jan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know if you can get hold of any No-planaria from Genchem but that wiped out all my snails...unintentionally I might add :oops:

Will this kill the good bacteria and plants aswell though?

Also can you use a bell method on co2 to kill them off or would I need to use an atomiser?

I had this once and now Im very careful. Treat everything for a week . Asasin snails skunk loaches my all time winner zebra loaches only grow 10cm

Can't you get some paint or tipex anything bright dot mark the regulator and body so you have a point of reference where the settings are and then turn up the regulator count how many times the knob does 360 and crank it up afterwards crank it down counting back to where the orignal dials were set in the first place?
I find unless you get the eggs out of the filter they never go away!

I've always used eSha Gastropex. Some folk haven't had too much success with it tho'.
However I've found that if I...
dose according to the instructions, and then a week later dose again, after a 50% water change, it works fine...
I've totally eradicated snails in both my low and high-energy tanks this way...
However, TBH I've also always put in a few assassins after a couple more water changes just in case there are any hidden survivors...have you tried getting some via mail order?

NB Don't forget to take in to account the capacity of your filter and remove all absorbable filter media...charcoal, purigen etc.

Yeah to honest I never even thought about cleaning the filter, my tank has only been running under 3 weeks. I haven't used the product yet but I killed a few the other day. I know there will still be some but situation is atleast under control, that's using the kale technique and manually removing them.

Thanks to everyones comments! Its great to be able to chat to people about fish tanks! Everyone of my friends/colleagues are uninterested but I find them fascinating!

Hi guys
I finally find a snail assassin in Congo. Today while chatting with Heiko Bleher he told me to put a Congo puffer in my tank for a week or two and he would do the job very well.
I can find them very easily even catch them my self, put it for 10 days in the tank and release it free in the river. They favorite food is snail !

73cd7a3be35ebf8ef27ccf6d9100a4fb.jpg

2b3fedf5ac9f1476f796eed9c3d6cebd.jpg

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Back