• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help and advice needed.

hi guys.
I have a new Fluval Flora tank that I would like to set up a nice plant display. It is a 30x30x35cm cube the come with a compact 11w 6500k light, basic filter and a basic co2 kit. I was thinking of changing the filter to an Eden mini external, unless any one can think of a better one? I also would like to upgrade the light, without spending to much, but not sure on what to get. The setup comes with Fluval substrate, is this any good, or should I look at some thing else? Not sure on co2 at this point, mainly due to cost, but might go for liquid carbon for now.
I best point out that I have a few fish tanks over the years. I also have had a go with a couple of planted tank, one with medium light and co2, and one with low light and no co2.
I would be very grateful of any help, advice and possible options that I might have. Many thanks Dave.

hi Dave, I find the filter fine unless you want an external.
I didn't like the substrate went mushy and compacted.

That 11w light will be plenty for most plants to grow with liquid carbon Dave, not sure the Eden filter would have enough power for good flow, jbl cristalprofi e400 would do if you are set on an external, I would ditch the substrate as it does break down quickly ime, Ada Amazonia or tropica substrate would be a good replacement.

Personally, I would just stick with your 11w light for now. Whilst the tank is maturing, you're going to want to have reduced lighting to restrict algae growth. You can always upgrade it later on if you feel your plants need more light, but I'd recommend primarily investing in the substrate system during the set up as this cannot be changed as easily later on.
I've not used Fluval substrate before, so cannot comment on this. I found this to be an informative read:Guide to Substrates.

You've not mentioned if you'll be dosing ferts into the water column. Any plans with regard to this?

As the for filter; I have found my Eden 511 to be quiet, and to get the job done. I'd have no qualms with recommending an Eden, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it is the best available. I often see Eheim getting mentioned as being of good quality; it might be worth taking a look at their Classic 150 model, just to give yourself some options. It seems similar in specifications to the Eden mini.

Thanks guys.
I think I will bin the substrate and look for something better. I will have a read of the guide, thanks Harps.
I would prefer an external filter, and probably get another Eheim Classic like the one I had before.
Still doing a bit of research at the moment so it might all change.
Thanks again.

I don't know how much this kit costs but consider why you chose this to start ... if it's simplicity & budget, then just set up the system with minimal changes (eg switch out the substrate) & see where that takes you ... by the time you upgrade the filter + lights + substrate + CO2 ... it's likely you've paid a premium price for the glass box!

Note that there were some manufacture issues with this tank, fixture was originally 13watt, then factory subbed in an 11watt bulb that didn't quite "work" (bulb failure etc) - Hagen did correct this at the time (as I recall, later kits came with the correct bulb) ... though perhaps it's now shipping with LED rather than the Compact Flourescent???

I believe the CO2 system is similar to this Tropica version which can work quite well

Congrats on getting back in with this project
:)

Thanks Alto, I didn't know about the bulbs, I will have to check that out!
It's funny that you should mention about paying a premium price for a glass box. The wife and I have be talking about it, she knows me so well, and the small tank will not keep my interest for long. So I am going to price up a good quality setup and see if we can afford it, for my birthday/Xmas present! I've been looking at an optiwhite tank 24"x15"x15", probably an Eheim external, co2 system, inline heater and lighting. The only thing I'm not sure on is the lighting. I would like to grow a carpet of Lilaeopsis mauritiana or Glossostigma elatinoides. I would also love to grow a nice red plant some thing like Alternathera refine mini. So any help on choosing a light unit that would work nicely without going to high on cost would be great!

Check out the swap section of the forum (not sure if you need a minimum post # to see it???)
Link

eg, CO2 kit

eg, Tank kit

eg, ADA 60H kit (dimensions as listed in your post)

You just want to do a thorough inspection when buying used & test all equipment (as reasonably possible).
Lights - go LED re control of intensity & spectra, 50 0000 hour life on LEDs ... if you search the forums/net, you can find reviews on most anything available, just decide which options are important for you
(I chose Kessil as they have a great local distributor & reputation for product quality & support, & they came in much lower cost than my second & third choices ... I also waited for the annual shop sale)

Re inline heaters - go with Eheim thermal filter instead ;)
(if you search, that H*d*r heater still fails with enough regularity that I won't use one ... especially as it's the same issue since this product came on the market)

Unfortunately I can't see the links.
I was looking at the TMC Grobeam 600, just not sure if I would need 1 or 2?
I did think of the Eheim thermal filter but they cost quite a bit.
Not sure yet what I'm doing because the cost is quite high, but I will be setting up a planted tank one way or another!

Back