• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What is this frog?

Jaap

Hello

My nephew found this frog in the garden. I had a vivarium thing going and he decided to put him in there.

What frog is this and is it safe to keep him in there?

736f7f84605451b43e35f749a9a2f23a.jpg
13d887ccb8bde0d16c5e9ed51965ac4c.jpg
5183367106135df48efa6b1c6ba64cfa.jpg
8ed615d968768d9d8b9e013ae1f70d92.jpg

Thanks

Well I can't seem to find the frog in the tank this morning :) could he be under a rock or in the soil?

Look between it's toes,if it has webbed feet or flippers it's always a frog.. The toad as in your pic has no flippers,because it's land animal.. Other identification features are toads have dry wart like skin, frogs smooth and moist.. Frogs have long legs they jump, toads short they walk... :)

Tree frogs don't always have flippers but than it has another of the above features to identify..

If you still not sure lick it.. If you get dizzy, it's a toad.. :lol:

Hi there, if your nephew found it in Cyprus then it's likely one of your 3 native species, the closest seems to be Bufotes variablis, which judging from the photos often has the similar green spots on cream. Hard to find much on them regarding care requirements but they should be similar to other toad species, perhaps with a dry (or drier) spot in their enclosure so they can self-regulate how much moisture they want. Seeing as they're an East Mediterranean species I dunno if they may be more susceptible to fungal infections if kept in persistent damp, but that's just speculation.

Good luck with him(or her!) anyway, I always wanted a pet frog(or toad!) when I was a kid and yours is certainly a stunner! :)

That's a good thing to point that out.. Imagine some one takes a joke like that seriuosly on a public forum. And kill himself.. :what:
Indeed.
Although you're unlikely to die from a captive dart frog (the toxins come from insects they only eat in the wild) as one poor chap on one of the frog forums found out, they can still make you incredibly ill. I suppose the moral of the story is always wash your hands after handling amphibians and no matter how itchy your nose is don't scratch it with froggy fingers.

Back