• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My custom build shallow tank RESCAPE (The 3 Peaks)

hi all,

So tonight has been a fun night,

18691234916_a9c636aa95_o.jpgIMG_1829 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr

I didn't get the U, sandersonii planted but theres plenty of time in the near future to get that sorted.

Once i get my camera cleaned (dirt in the lens is so annoying ), ill take some time and get so better photos and ill write up my equipment list as i have been meaning to do that for a while.

Regards

Jonny

Hi all,

So one week has passed since it has been set up and let just say progress is Sloooooowwww I forget these are not stem plants but they are coming along.

I got my camera lens cleaned then realised that it was actually my laptop screen which was the culprit for the black marks :rolleyes: so that was easy to sort out. In the end I got a good fts (pic below) so its easy to see it progress over the coming months I've also added some specs for the tank.

Tank and Cabinet - Custom build cabinet with seashell optiwhite tank (100cm x 50cm 22cm) underlining JBL aquapad
Lighting - Custom light stand holding, 2x TMC aquabar 1000 freshwater. Total photo period 6 hours 1x 3hr and 1x 4 hours giving 1hr with both light on. Light stand at its extended maximum from the water at the moment (45cm).
CO2 - Colombo FloraGrow CO2 fertiliser (2 squirts daily), 500g bottle with JBL ProFlora m001 regulator (working pressure 2.5bar), with JBL solenoid , 1BPS last week (now for 3 BPS) 2hours on before lights on, off 1 hour before light off, JBL Countsafe bubble counter, Up Aqua inline diffuser
Filter - JBL Profie greenline 1501, with cascade glassware.
Heater - Hydor external inline 300w (not currently turned on) Tank is at 20 degrees Celsius
Substrate - 20kg JBL Sansibar river, for nutrients JBL Florapol (500g). JBL aqua basis planting soil for plants in rock crevases
Ferts - JBL Ferropol weekly (when doing water change), JBL proscape NPK + Fe with micronutrients daily (2 squirts daily),
Hardscape - 35kg (roughly) Mini landscape rock
Plants - Aquafleur Easy Grow pots - Eleocharis parvula, Micranthemum micranthemoides. and U sandersonii (eventually)

Water changes - 50% daily, last week, this week will go down to 50% every other day

I hope that was not over the top on information.

18932840581_7c11986321_o.jpgIMG_1859 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr

Problems (Warts)
I have had a slight problem with diatoms recently I'm guessing with a new tank and low nutrients that is a given? A round with a tooth brush and 50% daily water changes has kept it at bay.

Ive also noticed the oily film problem so I have upped my CO2 to 3 BPS and upped my ferts also. With the slow growth I'm wondering have I've staved them? I will see if the upping of the CO2 and ferts will solve the growth rate and the oily film. I hope so.

Well that is all for today if any one has any questions please fire away.

Regards

Jonny

Hi all

Heres a couple of photos for the Utricularia sandersonii for growth above the water. I have my fingers crossed that my impulse buy on this plant pays off.....only time will tell

18473178194_e331135f06_o.jpgimage by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr

18908007410_fe724b0437_o.jpgIMG_1873 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr

As for below the water, plants are growing faster with higher co2 and Ferts. Diatoms have been reduced. Oily film still present though. But no sign of any green or black algae yet :)

Please feel free to comment and criticise.

Regards

Jonny

Hi All

It has been 1 month with water in so its time for an update me thinks. Ive added 5 CRS and 5 Pseudomugil paskai for live stock, they were added Tuesday night, so paskai are not looking what they can be but in time they will.

Observations and maintenance
The tank has been running soo smoothly it scares me, I think green algae is going to come around the corner any day now. I have been getting brown algae but after the initial week it has been very easy to keep under control with a water change and a toothbrush. I have also only needed to clean the glassware once and that was last week.

Light photoperiod is now at 8 hours 3pm-11pm with one hour with both lights on at 7pm, CO2 at 3 BPS comes on 2hours before lights goes on then one hour before lights off. Temperature now at 24 degrees Celsius.

The plants growth have been vary variable, the Ultricualria sandersoni is growing but very slowly, i did get bran new little flower so I'm happy with that :). @Edvet Thanks for the idea however each bit is sat on and above the water line so every bit is nice and moist, the tallest bit I had actually manage to get the soil to dangle into the water to draw up moister, unfortunately the earlier photos did not show that.

The Micranthemum micranthemoides in the middle and the right hand side are growing really nicely. In a week or two I think they will be ready to trim. The bit on the left hand side just off centre is not doing as well so i might just rip it out.

When setting up the tank with the Eleocharis parvula i noticed a distinct difference in the 8 pots of Eleocharis parvula that I had bought. In some tubs the growth and root structure seemed uniformed in growth, in the others the root structure seemed to be clumped and it was very easy to separate the clumps out into little plant clumps. I don't know why there was a difference my theory is the clumped ones had been grown in the tubs for longer. Interestingly enough it is the ones which have been clumped in the pots have grown really well. You can see for yourself they are on the right hand side of the tank (picture below). Obversely this is highly anecdotal stuff but my BUYERS TIP when buying this plant in the aquafluer easy grow range select the tubs with a more clumped structure.

Pictures
19576967241_03bd817ec2_o.jpgIMG_2087 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr
19565810122_3727419a72_o.jpgIMG_2090 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr
19572671955_9e8c5a0c89_o.jpgIMG_2018 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr
19386101369_85e5fd174f_o.jpgIMG_2071 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr
19384684930_f1cf72431b_o.jpgIMG_2020 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr
19386078299_22f191da49_o.jpgIMG_2005 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr

Please feel free to comment and criticise

Regards

Jonny

Hi All,

Its been a while since I last posted, and theres been a lot on these past 6 weeks (promotion at work :) ) which means the tank has been left to its own devices for longer than id like.

After my last post i went on holiday and discovered my Paskai rainbow were too jumpy so i had to return them. The water level also dropped such an amount that the Utricularia sandersonii dried out. This turned out to be a blessing and stimulated bran new growth of a different leaf morphology. My Micranthemum micranthemoides has not done well at all except on the far right. The Eleocharis parvula on the right is doing great but the ones on the left are still not growing too well so i have increased the CO2 bought a Hydro Korallia 1600lph pump which the rocks block out I challenge you to find it in the fts photo. I think I may have also solved my oily film problem with the increased flow, changing the direction of the spray bar, increased CO2 and increase my fertilisers x 5

I also found a strange growth on the rocks any idea what it is?
21066608716_1a29feee6b_o.jpgIMG_1058 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr

FTS
20905968559_7cf0b69585_o.jpgIMG_3033 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr

20906011839_e82cf76639_o.jpgIMG_1032 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr
21066625116_5f5e4eaa28_o.jpgIMG_1031 by Jonathan Archer, on Flickr

Jonny

Hi all,
I also found a strange growth on the rocks any idea what it is?
That strange thing on the rock is probably some sp. of ferns. But I even don't try to guess which one. Because it's too young now.
Definitely a fern. The "liverwort" looking bit is the fern prothallus (gametophyte), which holds the "archegonia" and "antheridia".

fern_lifecycle.jpg

It may be a Maidenhair Fern (Adiantum sp.) if you have a plant in the house, they often come up from spores in strange places.

cheers Darrel

Thats pretty cool

Thanks Darrel

It must be a spore left over from where ever the rock has come from...Not sure if a fern will add to the scape though but be interesting to find out.

I should add livestock is now 5 otocinclus affins and 20 ember tetras. Im thinking of getting some khulie loaches tomorrow.

Jonny

Last edited:
Back