• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes... what are yours?

Newbiedoobydo

So, I've had my fish for a fortnight (rescued from a neighbour, currently in a storage tub whilst big tank cycles - the goldfish that is, not the neighbour!). Already I have made sooo many mistakes.

Mistake number 1 - rushing out and buying test strips, filter aid bacteria and plastic plants. I know. Plastic plants o_O.

Mistake number 2 - buying a second hand tank without a stand and then working out how much it would weigh when filled :banghead:. Which brings me on to -

Mistake number 3 - thinking a tank which weighed 26 stones + would sit happily on a gateleg dining room table. To test this, I invited my neighbour round to lie on the table with me. She assured me that our combined weights would exceed 26 stones. Much giggling but also shrieks of alarm at the disturbing creaking noises coming from the table...:nailbiting:

Mistake number 4 - buying a lovely solid pine sideboard, setting the tank on it and filling it up, only to realise that it wasn't level :oops:. Thankfully another neighbour came round and helped me shim the cabinet.

Mistake number 5 - chucking a large fistful of goldfish flakes into a stocking, hanging it in the tank, and leaving the heater on until the water was about 27C. Then waking up this morning to an horrendous smell permeating every room in the house. :dead:

I'm just off to do a water change on the goldies and on the cycling tank. Should keep me occupied until bedtime.

What mistakes did you make when you started?

This made me laugh! :D Specially the creaking table bit - the things we do in the name of this hobby eh!:p

The biggest mistake I have made was to completely underestimate how long everything takes! I thought a tank would cycle quickly - well - a month or so. Even heavily planted, even adding established filter mulm, it's a slow story. While I don't get ammonia after a few weeks, my tanks only really start to take off at around the 3 month mark. Probably I am doing something wrong. *sigh*

2nd biggest mistake was to fall for Siamese fighting fish. Oh the joys - one fish per tank means I have many tanks set up - so many w/changes!
In fact my life seems to be a long round of water changes. And if someone has worked out how to get the magic balance going between low bioloads, plant health and very poor waterflow (my fighters get battered by anything adequate!) I'd love to know how!

Still - despite my mistakes.....for some reason I can't work out:confused: it is still all worth it!:)

Buying a heater for a planned planted tank, even though I live in the tropics (ambient 30-34'C in the afternoon all year round). And my hand-me-down tank had a hood which ensured that the water temp was more like 34'C. I still have the heater at home in its box!

Tried to make an automatic water changer, hose came out of the clamp and rapidly dumped 10L of water on the (wooden) floor :clap:

Wife came in, shook her head and gave me that look that says "I'm not angry, just disappointed".

Pretty big school boy error this evening, with the plants arriving tomorrow I used tonight to re - do the cupboard, rewire Arcadia lights to timers, new clear pipes for the filter in and outlets, fresh bottle of co2, and as I pushed the filter back in, I pushed the filter plug into the extension lead, and setting the thing off - without the hoses in! Needless to say I won't need a shower tonight..

My mistake :( loving my HC to death.. It grew and grew lush and beautifull, i was so much in love i forgot to trim it.. And when i finaly did it was already to late...

Ok mistake no.2:
The plants arrived yesterday, and I decided to try the dry start method this time due to the moss and Cuba. So I drained the tank, divided the plants, and planted as per idea, fine. I cling film the top, turn the lights on ( and set timers for 10 hr days) and before turning the power on, check that only the lights are plugged into the extension lead, fine two plugs two lights, bingo. Turn it on. 'Wow that looks great. Can't wait to see it in a month, I'll just impress the misses before she comes in and tidy it all up' about 5 minutes into tidying I can smell burning' '**** the ******* inline heater!'
Turns out I had wired the two ballasts into one timer, and the second plug was the inline heater! I haven't even used it yet! So not sure if I have killed it yet but it was bone dry and straight out of the box, and pretty hot when I found it. Got candles going for hours after.. Grrrr

Ok mistake no.2:
The plants arrived yesterday, and I decided to try the dry start method this time due to the moss and Cuba. So I drained the tank, divided the plants, and planted as per idea, fine. I cling film the top, turn the lights on ( and set timers for 10 hr days) and before turning the power on, check that only the lights are plugged into the extension lead, fine two plugs two lights, bingo. Turn it on. 'Wow that looks great. Can't wait to see it in a month, I'll just impress the misses before she comes in and tidy it all up' about 5 minutes into tidying I can smell burning' '**** the ******* inline heater!'
Turns out I had wired the two ballasts into one timer, and the second plug was the inline heater! I haven't even used it yet! So not sure if I have killed it yet but it was bone dry and straight out of the box, and pretty hot when I found it. Got candles going for hours after.. Grrrr
Oh no!
I have soaked myself but have yet to fry a heater...

Back