• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY ROOT TABS

Be careful as some of these clay ball substitutes do contain ammonium compounds, which may not be a serious issue in large pond but maybe a the much smaller volume of a planted tank.

Sure ian_m good thing to point that out. Always be causious and also depends on you plant mass and if the like to soil feed.. i got a lilly in the tank and she needs extra.. Enchinodorus, zosterfolia h. and staurogyne r. also likes some..

Im using this on my 160 liter pond and in my 42 liter aquarium :)..

In the tank since the dry start added some to the substrate. Regularly check amonia never had issues, tropica PG contains more because the test reacts with a slight color change on that instead.

but i'm still causious like always there fore i'll show you my pill box with Velda Clay Balls.. :) With a small piece of 6/4mm tube as size comparison, rolled 5 to 8 mm balls, the biggest balls in there go to the lilly or the enchi.. Used about 10 pills from march till now. Thats 5 at the drystart en added 5 more over the months next to the water collum ferts.

8FM8VM0.jpg

For me this is a safe size to use, never measure any amonium if i dont use tropica PG.. :)

Be careful as most dechlorinators, even after many days, react with ammonia test kits to give zero reading.

If we had some in our water i maybe could support your statment.. But we don't as far as i know, so i can only take your word for it.. :)

If we had some in our water i maybe could support your statment.. But we don't as far as i know, so i can only take your word for it.. :)

Do you have your own water supply ?

Our mains water has all sorts of chemicals in it

Do you have your own water supply ?

Our mains water has all sorts of chemicals in it

From the southern part of the Netherlands, nowadays we get our water from the german Eifel, no chlorine nor other chemicals. (Das Deutsche Reinheidsgebot :D). Pretty clean and soft, goes straight from the tap in the tank and the fish love it. Like they take a shower in it when i do a WC. Already for years and never an issue what so ever. I feel lucky with that and have lots of respect for you guys having all the hassle with water quality i only knew from 30 years ago when we still had horrible water from beneath a local marl deposite. But we al had very strong bones those days.. :cool:

Can I ask if there is some before and after pictures? I recently bought some root tabs from sachem. don't want to have to keep buying these as it would get expensive. Also where i live, the ground has a clay base so I could just dig it out of my garden and see what happens.

I have set up a walstad tank sine this post so no worries :)

although I didn't use clay in substrate will consider it if I run into any issues, Im into 3rd or 4th week now though and starting to see good growth so not worry about it all.

Back