• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Yoghurt/moss dry start - going on vacation - can I leave it without spraying?

frothhelmet

Hiya,

I got a yoghurt dry start for a moss-only tank going, I am two weeks in, and plan to go on vacation soon for two weeks. I can cover the tank pretty well, but was wondering if I need to flood it to prevent the moss from drying out and dying over these two weeks. Thoughts?

You just need to seal the top & have some water in the bottom.
If you have time, seal the top with cling film and just check the humidity stays up there, you should see misted glass & even drips forming from the top.
If there is a way to get a heat mat under the tank thing will be very humid indeed, you might even need to put in a few pin holes in the film.
I am not one for misting in any case.

I got scared and flooded it and put a pump in to circulate water. Came back 2 weeks later to dead brown mush :(

Last edited:
In case you face this again, I use a fog maker on a timer sitting in a water bowl. For a two week vacation, I would seal well and then put the mister in a bowl connected to a timer so that it goes off for 2 minutes twice a day. This will keep the humidity up and prevent drying up.

Back