• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Do fish become acclimatized to CO2?

Can you check back with the shop (as in walk in & look ;)) - lampeye's can be sensitive to the shipping/wholesaler/retailer/consumer transfer chain, in general don't purchase unless they are active & "shining" in the shop tank (or if you have a quarantine tank, low light, no CO2, matched parametres etc tank to move them into)

Once established in your tank they are still somewhat CO2 sensitive - not as sensitive as the checkerboard cichlids I kept them with - but it took them a couple months to acclimate to moderate CO2; if you have a high CO2 tank, they're unlikely to thrive.

When adding new fish, I have lights off, good aeration, & don't feed for 24h, I leave the tank with lights off for this period, then introduce lighting & reduced CO2 on Day 2 of New Fish.
Depending on species, all of this (& more) may be necessary ... or none of it ;)

I often pick up fish & shrimp direct from the shipping bags (best selection in my area) so depending on how long fish have been in transit, I may leave lights off for 3-4 days - there's sufficient ambient light for me to judge fish (shrimp) appearance/behavior.
If it's a busy community, I often use a quarantine tank, or if I don't have a suitable Q tank, will move existing stock to alternate quarters while new fish (shrimp) become established.

I try to perform water change day before adding new fish to my tank's so that they have roughly a week before large water change to adapt to the new environment.
Figure they have been removed from holding tank,bagged,shipped,and then plopped into dealer's tank and then mine.
Lotta adjusting to different water's in sometimes short amount of time, and don't need to be performing large water change same day or next day after purchase.
Seem's to help reduce loss for me.
Also place a few drop's of PRIME in acclimation bucket along with seasoned prefilter off one of the canister's for small amount's of ammonia fish produce in perhaps small bucket for extended acclimation (ie) drip acclimation.

Back