• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Best lighting schedule?

Paulus

Hi,

Been a while since my last posts. :) But always kept reading other posts.
Now i have a question about my lighting above a 100x50x50 cm plantend tank (nature scape again)

I use the following system: 2x T5 39W + 1x HQI 150W

I am dosing ferts with the EL method. But still the plants aren't reacting 100% and the algea keeps getting back. I need better growth of the plants and tips are welcome :)

Waterquality:

PH 6.5
KH 5
no3 20 mg/l
po4 2.0 mg/l

Adding CO2

So it should be fine. Or not?

Other option for the difficalt plants growth would be the lighting ( i think).

what would be a good lighting period/schedule for this 100x50x50 cm nature tank using: 2x T5 39W + 1x HQI 150W. Now using:

t5 2x39w: 11:00 - 22:00
HQI 150W: 15:00 - 18:00

Do i need more or less light during the day? tips or suggestions are welcome :D

Hi Paulus

Regarding the lights I cannot tell you if it is too much or not, because I have never used HQI, but regarding timing, 11 hours is way too much. I have never been able to have more than 9h of photoperiod without recurrent problems with algae. Actually I begin with just 6 and I only go for 8h once the tank is really stable. This keeps me in the safe zone and growing is reasonably fast but not too much.
I know Amano and other aquascapers do run their lights for 10 hours but I think it's a bit risky and only with low lights or if you have a very good control of your tank

Jordi

Hi,

Thx for the replies :)

I will try to turn down to light to 6 or 8 hrs and only the hqi during midday for 1 or 2 hours :)

In my first scape the light period was huge. no algae and great plants.

You can try with 8 hours and to keep the hqi for 1 hour at the middle for 2 weeks and after that to increase to 2 hours.

Back