• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Quality lights please

Blueskiesdz

Hi I'm changing from 20 yrs of marine sps to a planted tank. I'm confused and unsure what's the best lighting for a med/ high tech tank. The tank will be braceless 36x18x18 and I will use c02. I have read so many threads on here and the net but I'm struggling to work out what's suitable.

I would like to use led's due to cool running but happy to use t5's. Would also like some form control over the light. As I've said I've spent ages looking but slightly confused which to go for !

I'd be very grateful for some advice on the most suitable lighting be it led/ t5 etc.

Thanks for help

The usual suspects just like the marine hobby: Ecotech, GHL, Giesemann, Kessil, Elos all do controllable $$$ freshwater (e.g. not too blue) lights. Search for these names in this forum and you will find some users or even reviews of such lights.

P

If you've the budget, Giesemann, then Kessil, then Ecotech in terms of power/intensity (PAR depth penetration)
I'm not familiar with GHL or Elos offerings, but look at the LED lineup details, then programmability/appearance for yourself.

Upper end units offer programmable spectra as well as intensity etc

Thanks for you help I've had a look at an aquatlantis easy led which looks reasonable for the money. I was hoping I could get an AI Prime but it's only marine at the moment. I also looked at an Arcadia otl led but I've read some reviews saying the controller is not particularly effective.
Ive been to some of my old marine haunts in Leicester today and taken a look at the ecotech unit which looks great but unsure I need that level of led at this stage. The AI prime is slightly cheaper and looks very sleek but again probably not needed at my level even if it was for freshwater.

I looked at this site for pricing, looking at the array I'd guess they are using 0.5watt leds (I tend to avoid LED units where there is no disclosure of the leds or technical data on spectra/intensity etc, but if you like the light, that is what matters) which usually generally deliver a lower intensity light but less of that point source effect due to the spread, depending on where you want to go with your tank, this may suit ... as your tank is 45cm deep, PAR at substrate will be fairly low (likely less than a HOT5)

I do think that the price with controller included is on the high side for what you get, especially as the controller seems to really only be a timer with dimmer (sunrise/sunset) program.

OTOH if you were looking to "fit" led into your existing T5 or T8 canopy, these are a nice option.

Do you still have your marine light systems?

Once you've 25 posts, you can look at the Swap section of this forum.

The problem I have is I've found it difficult to view any light prior to purchasing them. Within reason I can buy any light as it's considerably cheaper than my led's on my sps tank ! ! I have just immersed myself in review on this site and the net but still umming and arring. I did think 'sod it' just go for the trusted t5 luminaire but perhaps that's slightly older tech. I'm happy to have anything that works and works well.

All my marine lights are sold which is a real shame as I could have configured them for planted (within reason). I would like a light that will do the job and be pleasing to the eye but that appears to be the problem ! Would t5's in a bank of 2 or 4 be a better option than the aquatlantis ? Ideally a light that I can adjust even dimming would be ideal. I just think my fiancé will shoot me if I continue to review lighting units instead of washing up :)

Any ideas would be much appreciated ( as ever)

Rik

I have one tank with Kessils - amazing light, especially the new "tuna" version (tuna=tunable I don't think they quite got their market research straight on that one ;)) as both spectrum & intensity can be controlled manually or with controller, this system came out well priced for led quality & "accessories" (ie the bits that let you actually mount the light & controller etc - cables sold separately! some of the packaging on LED is just absurd, so be detailed when comparison pricing) in my area (a marine shop that does some freshwater lighting & misc on the side).

My other tank has an older T5HO luminaire with 4 lamps that run in pairs (lamps 1&4 or 2&3) - take note of which lamps are paired & if lamps can run independently - manufacturer does not support dimming ... this seems to have changed with newer T5 luminaires but confirm before you buy (again this usually means controller budget, but also ask about lamp effects).
I use Giesemann T5's for spectra/CRI preference (really not a fan of the pink "plant lamps")
When looking at T5's pay attention to lamp & light spread - I have this on an 18in width tank & there were very few options with lamps installed over a 16" spread (I rarely use lamps 2&3).

I really like the light effect of both tanks but LED is far more versatile (T5 units & lamps are very much on their way out in my area) & can be far more minimalist in appearance.
When looking at LED luminaires, pay attention to the led array re even light distribution over length & width of your tank (eg I didn't like Maxspect's 90 cm lamp option) ... unfortunately getting PAR diagrams out of manufacturers is complex

Advanced Aquarist has some terrific articles on LED & PAR & PAR sensors & ...
Sanjay Joshi does some very detailed reviews - not the article I'm thinking of, but still gives a good idea of how light strikes the tank
OK a better search result

While you're researching light options, you can get your hardscape ordered in & play with scaping (or just go Dutch like Pedro Rosa ;)), sort out CO2 system.
I've finally used Tropica Soil in a recent scape - rave review!

You mentioned "cool running" of LED in your initial post - this is very noticeable during summer months.

Hi Alto, thanks for your detailed reply. In relation to light distribution on led's did have a razor on one of my smaller reef tanks and I wasn't happy with the led placement and preferred a more even spread. In some respects perhaps it going backwards to buy t5's but when I read the set up on some of the quality set ups and scape on here I see quite a few t5 units.

Perhaps a finnex unit or aqua lighter or stick with my original idea of an aquatlantis. It would be nice to get a fully controllable unit but I'm still struggling to find good specs.

I really rate the Giesmann Pulzars for functionality when used with the BT controller. The only downside is that they aren't particularly pretty to look at. I've long planned to mount mine in a DIY fixture but haven't made the time for that yet. If you have the budget then a Futura unit should cover all your needs for many years

I'd add that dimmable programmable lighting allows far more creative freedom. I find I have spells of high enthusiasm with this hobby where a high speed, high tech brightly lit tank holds my interest but after some months of that the continuing high level of maintenance starts becoming more of a challenge than a joy. So being able to wind the lighting right down for a slower fern tank or similar allows for a lot of creativity. Progammable LED systems have to be the way to go in my opinion.

One thing that the GHL and Ecotech (I think) lights do is give you an estimate of the Kelvin rating for a particular mix of the LED channels. Not that I believe this makes a difference to plant health but it's a real tinkerer's delight as you can see the looks of different colours and have sunrise and sunset etc. To me 6000-7000k looks the nicest anyway.

P

Back