• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What other hobby's do you have?

Ha Ha, Lindy there are many things I am useless at but I can make things with my hands.
However - I got married at 24 & divorced at 25, I have given up smoking 100 times, I cant give up alcohol, my spelling it terrible, I am overweight, I get algae on my plants, my singing is terrible, my dress sense old fashioned, I rarely speak my mind & my domestic duty's are scorned upon!
Thank you Foxfish, nice to know you are not completely perfect. I feel better now. Infact I might feel a little smug about giving up smoking 18yrs ago if it weren't for those damn guitars! My dad would have loved a shot on one of those before gout ruined his hands. He has a friend, Martin Taylor, who plays guitar...

Thankyou lindy. I've been making them 15 years now, first one I saw (stove from a gas bottle) was at one of my dad's friends house over 25 years ago.

Everyone one the band wagon now you only have to look on ebay:(.
Kirk you can buy any sh*t on ebay. You just need the right folk to notice and punt your name about. Can I share some pics to facebook?

No, not really, I just build them for fun & friends.

There is quite a sad story about the soundboard wood I have been using!
It comes from what was allegedly the largest macrocarpa in the UK!
It hit the news papers about 5 years ago when it was declared dead but was only cut down eight months ago.
I found the tree surgeon who cut it down & went to see the remains.
The tree was being gradually reduced to firewood but there was still a huge mid section left, the surgeon kindly cut out a quarter 4' long section & cut that down to 2" planks - all with a hand held chain saw.
That was about six months back, there is now nothing left of the once magnificent tree - it was in fact, all cut up for fire wood!
The tree was 187 years old and a landmark feature just a few miles from my house.
I asked on numerous forums if the wood could be used for guitar tops (soundboard) and every answer was "no" but nobody had actually tried!!!
So it was very satisfying to find out that in fact it not only looks & smell gorgeous but the wood performs extremely well :)

What a waste but great that you could make something of part of it. A friend makes some lovely furniture and is always on the look out for felled trees.
1013858_618261858300281_7332950831721318834_n.jpg

No, not really, I just build them for fun & friends.

There is quite a sad story about the soundboard wood I have been using!
It hit the news papers about 5 years ago when it was declared dead but was only cut down eight months ago.
I found the tree surgeon who cut it down & went to see the remains.
The tree was being gradually reduced to firewood but there was still a huge mid section left, the surgeon kindly cut out a quarter 4' long section & cut that down to 2" planks - all with a hand held chain saw.
That was about six months back, there is now nothing left of the once magnificent tree - it was in fact, all cut up for fire wood!
The tree was 187 years old and a landmark feature just a few miles from my house.
I asked on numerous forums if the wood could be used for guitar tops (soundboard) and every answer was "no" but nobody had actually tried!!!
So it was very satisfying to find out that in fact it not only looks & smell gorgeous but the wood performs extremely well :)

Great story mate, :)

What a waste but great that you could make something of part of it. A friend makes some lovely furniture and is always on the look out for felled trees.
1013858_618261858300281_7332950831721318834_n.jpg
That is a beautifull combination of wood used in this.^^ very nice to look at.

Hi all,
I don't know about in California (although I'd be very suspicious about the alleged age of wild trees at Monterey), but all the large Monterey Cypress (Hesperocyparis macrocarpa) I've seen in the Britain and Ireland have looked on their last legs, and I suspect that 250 years is about the limit of the life span of individual trunks (I've seen trees where the lower branches have rooted themselves) in the UK.

It is a really quick growing tree (in the warm, wet bits of the UK) and really quick growth and old age don't normally go together.

cheers Darrel

I've started collecting houseplants and seem to be making a subconscious effort to turn my living spaces into a jungle! In some respects, planting my fish tank was the act that kicked this off. I guess I can call walking our dogs a hobby! As a family, we also forage for sloes and Mum makes sloe gin, jelly, etc.

It's less of a hobby and more of a career trajectory, but I recently graduated from an Illustration degree. I painted my icon. I also do bookbinding and have been playing with embroidery.

Here's a link to a painting I made of Toksvig, my betta. <--- That's also my art blog. Although plants and fish often sneak in there too!

Hi Darrel, there is a little bit more history ... it seems that the tree in question was planted in 1828 under the name of Cupressus lambertiana, but was later classified as Cupressus macrocarpa! I don't know what that means though?
It was planted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_S...on_de_Saumarez son on his private estate.
Apparently Cupressus lambertiana is a cultivar of C. macrocarpa originally from New Zealand. It is not the only one though as several were imported. This one was the tallest but others still stand.
There was video of it being taken down but it has been removed from YouTube.
The guy who owns the property now, was the guy who donated one million pounds to "Children in need" a few years ago!
The adjoining land is now a public park & it is full of interesting trees (& mushrooms) http://www.guernseywalker.me.uk/Saumarez tree walk.html

Here is my stock of wood, it is quarter sawn so the pieces are half the diameter of the tree and came from approx. 30' up the trunk.

image.jpg

I build computers and just signed up at UDACITY to learn coding.

Hi all,
The Saumarez Park looks lovely. I've never been to Guernsey, but if I visit I'll definitely put it on my itinerary.
it seems that the tree in question was planted in 1828 under the name of Cupressus lambertiana, but was later classified as Cupressus macrocarpa! I don't know what that means though?
I can do that bit.

Cupressus lambertiana
is a synonym of Cupressus macrocarpa, and all Cupressus species that originate in N. America have been transferred to a a new genus "Hesperocyparis". This is because. even though they are morphologically similar to Cypresses from the Old World, DNA suggests that the American spp. aren't very closely related.

I think 1828 is possibly too early for a planting date, (<"in the wild it grows in a very restricted area of California">) and I would doubt there was time for collected seed to go to New Zealand (where it is very widely planted) and then back to the UK.

cheers Darrel

Ah that is interesting Darrel, I am only quoting the information that was printed in our local press but apparently there are well kept records of the planting that took place during the manor house development.
I am not mistaken about the date published in our paper but of course they could of got it wrong!
There are regular guided walks around the area & one of the guides is an expert on Admiral de Saumarez & his sons.
He tells of the incredible wealth that the Admiral accumulated & how one son in particular, had a strong interest in collecting trees & shrubs from around the world.
Many of the trees are reaching the end of their lives now, there are large gaps in the landscape where once stood exotic trees.

If ever you want to read up on the life of the Admiral, there are quite a few books available.
He led an incredibly exciting & danger filled life but spent much of his fortune on building public amenity's like schools for the benefit of the local community.
Unlike his counter part Nelson, James did not seek glory or publicity but in fact did far more for England than Nelson could of possibly done in his relatively short career. A real unsung hero!!

Hi all,
I am only quoting the information that was printed in our local press but apparently there are well kept records of the planting that took place during the manor house development. I am not mistaken about the date published in our paper but of course they could of got it wrong!
Could well be 1838, <"that is the quoted date"> for introduction to the UK, and it may have been one of the first trees planted.

cheers Darrel

My main hobby is a little more dynamic than aquaria. I've been a mad keen windsurfer for nearly 40 years now and like to scare myself in big waves and I also build my own windsurf boards and just generally enjoy tinkering and making stuff.

Last edited:
Another item. I've put legs on the stove as the weathers been good enough today.:)

Back