• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 newbie

Doozer999

Hi all,

I lurk these pages for a while... and have already stated posting where relevant regarding the rescape of my 125 litre community setup to a planted scape with some fish ('s. America tetras, but also some shrimp - Amanos, rcs and snails).

As my thoughts turn to introducing co2 I ponder my options. Pressurised....reaction? Cost vs ease for a novice etc.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent 1-0-1 on co2,

And

More generally, what effects does co2 have on the water parameters that may affect fish, shrimp, snails?

Many thanks!

Hi, and thanks for the gentle nudges to date....my learning continues!

... So I am performing water changes using a 50/50 mix of my own RO and dechlorinate tap water.

My parameters are headed towards Gh of 7 and Kh of 5. PH 7.2

However, my reading of the CO2 charts is that either my PH is too high.... Or kh too low.

If I want a reasonably straight forward planted tank, with some cardinals, German rams... A snail or two... What should I be doing to my parameters to get the water/co2 right (35ppm)?

Before I reshape my tank entirely, I thought I might get the pressurised co2 all set up...and trial getting the parameters right.

Will it be as simple as increasing my % tap water....to push up the kh (and PH slightly, possibly)?

I am a little unsure what to do. I want to go planted, and co2....but I don't want to force it, if it isn't going to work.

It's a standard 120 litres. Will be looking to add a suitable substrate at reshape and planting time... It's the water I'm confused by! (for now)!!
Thanks for any suggestions...

.... I have just realised, I want to be pushing my PH DOWN, so...that would suggest more RO % to tap water...

But...more RO I'd imagine will push my kh down too!

Golly....I'm getting confused....

However, my reading of the CO2 charts is that either my PH is too high.... Or kh too low

Forget this and get a dropchecker
Forget the numbers get the KH right for the fish you would like to keep. Then simply use a dropchecker to tell you how much co2 you have and use a ph pen/probe to make sure it is timed properly.

Thanks big clown.

Any suggestions as to a decent CO2 starter kit...? With instructions!!

Sorry I can't help because I work for one of the sponsors and cant recommend our products on the forum. What I can say is check the sponsors section, some of them have excellent customer care and online guides to help you get started also check out their websites and you will find everything you need in their support sections. Have a read around the forum because some of them have very good reputations

Back