• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moss ID ?

Roman B

Hey!

Today I found this nice looking moss in a forest, never saw this one before.
It were growing in a really wet spot almost submerged
When i pulled it out, it drying out and die really fast
So I think it can grow in a tank
IMG_0906.jpg

Thank you!
it really looks like Plagiomnium elatum.

The submerged growth of this is disappointing to say the least
Grows very long shoots with tiny leaves every 5mm or so. Grows better planted into the substrate contrary to most mosses

Thanks for photos!
That side shoots tho!
I guess it will get back to normal as soon as runners hit the surface...

Can't answer that one. I tried trimming it to force it to grow thicker but it just erupted more side shoots -.-

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Funny.. :) I'm experimenting with several terrestrial found mosses to grow aquatic, till now almost all do.. And all transform to grow in a stringy shape.
Experimenting also with 2 different mnium sp. and the submersed growth resambles the pics from above.

Common haircap aquatic, verry slow but forms aquatic side shoots.
6wrjwET.jpg

I think (pretty sure) this one is mnium hornum, grows faster submersed. But very fragile it needs a very stable invironment, the slightest changes in parameters and it will get in trouble. F.e. it doesn't realy like to be moved from low tech to hight tech, the change is to drastic.
P4PxXvN.jpg

I doubt it will transform back again when reaching the surface, the weak submersed stem/shaft it develops wont probably allow it to grow past the surface and stick out.

I've tried the same sp zozo and after a while I found that it looks like it's about to die then takes off again. I pulled it out when I pulled he plagiomnium out as it looked a little ropey.
This is my current favorite native. Not a clue what it is but I believe it's a liverwort rather than a moss.
4ef716099cf2c2d76e1de62b3b3c7986.jpg

And some others
4bae9ed5077873885e65ad05bc3da30f.jpg

0e3b895a885f135a969ab7bd99b4d57a.jpg

c5e68fee223be6477134222b4cb87d2a.jpg

Nice collection Mr. Luke :) the 3th photo looks like a nice atractive sp..

This is my current favorite native. Not a clue what it is but I believe it's a liverwort rather than a moss.
Any chance it is Blepharostoma trichophyllum? hard to see the pic is a bit fuzzy but its like i see some resemblance, it's a native liverwort often sold as aquatic even Dennerle has it in it's collection i looked at it lately at the lfs, thats why i think i recognize it.. :) Didn't buy it because it was to expensive for the amount they offer. Still got my a tiny patch via an other route and is im my tank now with some other mosses

I'll pull a bit out and get a macro shot for you :) give me a minute and ill edit this post with some shots

Excuse the colours. Rgb led doing weird things to my phone

043fa198cda43f42c746265173b8ece2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'll pull a bit out and get a macro shot for you :) give me a minute and ill edit this post with some shots
Definitely looks like a leafy liverwort, and possibly a Plagiochila sp. (<"P. asplenoides"> would be my guess, based upon the entire leaves).

Most Leafy liverworts have 2 rows of leaves, one large, one small, but in Plagiochila the small under-leaves are absent.

If it came from somewhere really wet it might be a <"Chiloscyphus"> sp., but it is really "pick a name" time.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I have a larger but very similar looking one that's not doing to great. I'll let it mature a little and report back :)

Back