• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

African antics... NA120

Looks great Iain, love the Congo tetras too, they look stunning under the lighting :thumbup:
Have you any extra nutrients under the sand where the plants are at the rear? Also ive heard of others using c02 24/7, and im setting up another planted tank and am considering this for stability, is this new for you or have you done this on other tanks? Also do you add any extra surface agitation during lights out or is all well without, and do you do any c02 adjustments at water change or does the c02 level rise again naturally at what im guessing is a reduced injection rate?......sorry for the barrage of questions but 24/7 c02 is an interesting topic :)
Cheers,
Ady.
hey ady, great to see you around again fella, cant wait to see what your up to mate.

There is about an inch of John Innes No3 along with some root tabs around the bulbs, as heavy root feeders they would struggle without.
The idea of 24/7 co2 is new to me also. I heard Stu was doing it and after seeing the images of that tank i signed up to try it pretty quick. It has been set at a pretty slow rate, about a bubble a second through the AM1000, considering the high tech rate was uncountable its a slow and steady amount. For surface agitation, its pretty heavy all the time, i figured i need to off gas as much as i inject to stop co2 climbing to dangerous levels. I would guess that a drop checker would be dark green if i had one in there, which the inhabitants seem pretty happy with. Havent adjust the co2 much after turning it on, i started really low and tweaked it up a little in the first few days but i have no interest in pushing it. I still treat the tank like a low tech with a waterchange every couple of weeks, sometimes longer, surface film lets me know when its over due. Ive also got SAE and ottos to help algae management and the synodontis and barbs help stir up the bottom levels for the filters to do their thing.
Always happy to help if i can fella, be sure to start a journal for your new one pal.

That's a nice one Iain. I'm guessing the lights are on full blast when you take photos? Because that doesn't look like low light at all!
Lights are the normal running level, exposure makes them look brighter, they run at around 20% with the greens and reds a bit heavier. I not sure but my guess is PAR around 20-30 at substrate.
20886726643_bda1a245a9_b.jpglights by iain sutherland, on Flickr

There is about an inch of John Innes No3 along with some root tabs around the bulbs, as heavy root feeders they would struggle without.
The idea of 24/7 co2 is new to me also. I heard Stu was doing it and after seeing the images of that tank i signed up to try it pretty quick. It has been set at a pretty slow rate, about a bubble a second through the AM1000, considering the high tech rate was uncountable its a slow and steady amount. For surface agitation, its pretty heavy all the time, i figured i need to off gas as much as i inject to stop co2 climbing to dangerous levels. I would guess that a drop checker would be dark green if i had one in there, which the inhabitants seem pretty happy with. Havent adjust the co2 much after turning it on, i started really low and tweaked it up a little in the first few days but i have no interest in pushing it. I still treat the tank like a low tech with a waterchange every couple of weeks, sometimes longer, surface film lets me know when its over due. Ive also got SAE and ottos to help algae management and the synodontis and barbs help stir up the bottom levels for the filters to do their thing.
Thanks for that Iain, yeah id heard Stu was doing it somewhere, and to see you doing it too makes me want to give it a go......another way to try and master the c02!! :mad: I bought some reactors a while ago now so may put one to use on this tank, or may just stick with inline for simplicity.
Thanks for the tips mate, ill utilise surface agitation and perhaps a skimmer too for the dreaded film i always get on all my tanks, should help with oxygen content when livestock goes in.

hey ady, great to see you around again fella, cant wait to see what your up to mate.
Thanks, its been too long but nothing spectacular, the 120 is still running plantless and i love it, so resurrecting the tank it all began in to have another bash at plants, the old fluval studio tank will house a rock scape and minimalist planting. Havnt quite got the right rocks, (or the rocks right maybe), but ill go with what i have and plant it up.....hopefully itll end up something like i imagined :confused:

Cheerio,
Ady.

Lights up the street on full power Chris, at some point I'll try full power no livestock just for fun.... Algae farm no doubt. It's great for final images though.

Next time George is over I'm going to get a load of par readings at different power levels, should make choices easier for later scapes. Also very interested to see how quickly it drops off as I raise/lower the light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow those congos under the blue light makes them looks like spirits. A cool effect I have to say.

Stunning Iain , love that scape just so enjoyable to watch and plenty room for fish

Thanks Dean

You're making me miss my Congo Tetras. One of the nicest and most interactive "small fish" I've ever had. Even the Mrs loved feeding them because they would snap up food quickly and she'd tell me "That guy's greedy" or "This guy is chasing the others off".

Fantastic tank!!! I love the rock work with anubias, they complement each other very well!

Do you have pictures of the set up before everything was planted - just of the hardscape?

Awesome scape mate you may have to open your doors at some point so I can look at all this beauties ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Fantastic tank!!! I love the rock work with anubias, they complement each other very well!
Do you have pictures of the set up before everything was planted - just of the hardscape?

Thanks Hobbes, no sorry i didnt take any set up pictures as this came about from a water change that caused me to rage and tear the whole scape down and do something new.... turned out ok so far.

Awesome scape mate you may have to open your doors at some point so I can look at all this beauties ;)
your absolutely welcome any time Bruno. Hows your getting on?

Back