• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Iwagumi hardscape for malawi's.

Martin Osmond

Hi guys, I hope it's ok to come on here and discuss this as it will not involve plants.

I'm soon to be setting up a 4ft tank for Malawi cichlids, almost certainly mbuna. I was wondering if people think a iwagumi style hardscape would work for them?

Last edited:
I think you'd have more luck with Tanganyikans in this sort of scape BUT you'd still need to choose your species carefully
1 shelldweller (choose "mild" temperament)
1 sand dweller (as above) or Altolamprologus
1 open water dweller such as 'cyps' (even with these, fish from certain locales may show more aggression)

Depending on setup & selected species, you might be able to do 4 species ... once you've a short list, post on CF for feedback.

If you want Mbuna, I strongly (strongly) recommend against Iwagumi - for long term success,, you really want lots of rock work with various sized crevices/caves ... you might get lucky if you begin with the right species (but I don't know much about the Malawi species .. there may be more compatible (gentler) species available now than when I was keeping africans).

CF really has done a great library with profiles & "cookie cutter" tank set ups

Thank you both.

Jordi, that's kind of what I'm thinking. I've seen lots of different rock layouts and can't help thinking that using aquascaping techniques the potential for a really striking Malawi tank is definitely there. Just trying to think outside the box a little to try and come up with something a bit different.

Back