• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lessons learned - ADA 45C

looks good, shame the soil moved when you filled, plug the holes with moss ;)
Just be careful of your tds with CRS/Taiwans as if you aim to keep 150 its easy for a lot of that to become ferts and too little Gh which the shrimp need. Happens all to often in high tech tanks with caridina shrimp :thumbup: and glass lilies are notorious shrimp catchers/killers, a shrimp guard would be a good idea.

looks good, shame the soil moved when you filled, plug the holes with moss ;)
Just be careful of your tds with CRS/Taiwans as if you aim to keep 150 its easy for a lot of that to become ferts and too little Gh which the shrimp need. Happens all to often in high tech tanks with caridina shrimp :thumbup: and glass lilies are notorious shrimp catchers/killers, a shrimp guard would be a good idea.

Hi Iain,

Thanks for the tips. Not sure I understand what you mean about the TDS level?

Cheers

Depending on your choice of ferts you will be introducing a reasonable amount of salt which causes the tds to raise so monitor the progress of the water in the tank during the week

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I'm using ADA Brighty K and Step 1 at the moment. Measured tank today and it has gone up 30ppm since Friday.

I'm going to WC tomorrow and then measure daily over the week.

Bought a jbl proscan test kit to try too. Not a big fan of testing, but I liked the concept.

Growth seems good so far, fingers crossed no algae either!
Tempted to remove the Microsorum petite at the front and put something smaller in.

9D242860-7526-4F24-8954-FAF77D3061A5_zps35bw8l6l.jpg

AFF5B1E5-A8B6-4056-B295-69868870D48F_zps0zr3pvmy.jpg

A720BC16-4C2B-4692-A3DB-56F5E37BBA51_zpsvsucpfhl.jpg

AA97C63B-694C-4B06-985E-0D31A6E9B241_zpsfqnq5njb.jpg

It's looking good :clap:
- which fish have you added?

I'd wait another couple weeks before deciding on the M petite - I assume these leafs are mostly what it came in as.

Thanks!

Just added some Black Neons, Xray tetras, Panda Corys and Ottos that I already had.

Yes, all the microsorum came pretty well grown, I was surprised (and ended up with 3 left over!)

Going to see how the rotala fills out when I cut it this weekend. Not feeling it though so may buy some l. Hippourides to try again.

WC and some maintenance planned for tomorrow AM. Got my RO unit running at the moment and the water is measuring 0tds.

I'm going to remineralise aiming for 5GH and 130-140TDS. I'll then keep an eye on how it changes during the week as I dose ferts.

Going to trim the rotala very hard and see how that goes.
All glass needs cleaning.
Going to tie some flame moss onto the redmoor.
Going to try and glue some stones into the gaps that are leaking aquasoil. Then plug the gaps with more Christmas moss.

Really surprised at how quickly the Montecarlo, Echinodorus Tenellus & Hygrophila pinnatifida are growing.
The Syngonanthus sp. 'Belem' I managed to source has melted though so this is going to come out. I may move the Rotala into that space and put L. Hippouriodes in at the back.

The Syngonanthus sp. 'Belem' I managed to source has melted though so this is going to come out
Just try lying the bits atop some Aquasoil in an emerse set up - something may come back :)

Going to try and glue some stones into the gaps that are leaking aquasoil
Draining the tank or will you attempt this feat underwater?

(as you may guess, the latter is beyond my abilities ;))

Just try lying the bits atop some Aquasoil in an emerse set up - something may come back :)
Not a bad idea! Worth a try at least. I've got to do a diy store trip this weekend so may buy a propagator.

Draining the tank or will you attempt this feat underwater?

(as you may guess, the latter is beyond my abilities ;))

I've done it before with some of the JBL glue, seems to work ok!

Hi Iain,

Thanks for the tips. Not sure I understand what you mean about the TDS level?

Cheers

I learnt a lesson here. All those shrimp died. :(

I now have two dedicated shrimp tanks. One with bees that are breeding like mad and one with super crystal blacks.

I learnt a lesson here. All those shrimp died. :(

I now have two dedicated shrimp tanks. One with bees that are breeding like mad and one with super crystal blacks.

May i ask what went wrong? I use RO myself

May i ask what went wrong? I use RO myself
I didn't appreciate their needs in terms of gh and kh fully and didn't test/dose for it.
In my shrimp tanks now I just use ro and tantori liquid gh buffer. 1litre of ro and 6 drops of buffer and they thrive.

Back