• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Save the last Discus of Congo.

Hi all,
If you can get local freshwater shrimps (of any type) they are really good cichlid feed. Freeze-dried, or frozen Mysis, shrimp might be a possibility.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel,

thanks for your help !!!
Yes I can easily find some fresh water shrimp here, as we eat often and we can find it in super market. I can mix it with what ? because I have already done :

fish + spinach + green peas + carrots + banana

I would like to vary a bit his food. The fish doesn't want to eat the freeze and dry arthemias shrimp and also the JBL discus food. for the frozen food I made he even comes to eat in my fingers.

For those worms I can find it quite easily, but will I need to clean it and wash their "stomach" because I am sure that they don't live in good clean earth here in Kinshasa.
Or will I have to culture them to be sure they are clean for my fish ? If so how can I culture them in good conditions please ?

thanks for your help.

regards

My experience with discus is... feed them whatever they like to eat. Some like pellets (Tetrabits), some only take live tubifex, some take frozen bloodworms. I've never tried beefheart/porkheart before because I can't find them ready made and I don't wanna go through the trouble of making my own. Personally I feel that beefheart is popular because its relatively cheap and its got loads of protein that will really bulk up discus or get them into spawning condition. If you talk to purists, they'll tell you the discus' eyes are too large for their body so you aren't feeding them enough, you'll never win competitions, you'll fail at breeding them, etc. But their objectives are different from some of ours ;)

I have to say though... shame on your friend for keeping discus with tilapia! Tilapia are so rowdy and messy!

I have not had any discus that were badly affected by CO2. I have run my CO2 in the lime green for extended period, discus still look and behave ok. I have a lotta surface movement to improve O2 gas exchange though.

Nice tank by the way, I recognise the style :D

Hi Flygia,

Good to know for the CO2 and the discus, now the CO2 is on since 10 days I have increase it a bit the fish is okay i don't think I am in the lime green at all, I should take out my drop checker and order some 4 kh bromo blue to check haha, plants are suffering a bit but they are ok, only mania bonsai is not accepting this CO2 change and is dying.
I know some one who have a pond and in his alteration it use to be full o blood worms (his filtration was in the sun), I have to contact him to know if he still have some.

You recognize the style ??? Mine or Norbert Saba hahahaha ???

Regards mate

Guys thanks you all for you compliment on the tank really appreciate !!!!! :D:D:D:D

I agree, i prefer all kinds of insects/larvae, if you want to feed a meat kind of source use salt water fish. Any chance of finding insectlarvae in the wild? Grubs or garden worms

Hi Edvet,

I can possibly find some larvae, because there is a shop that sells birds, geikos and I have seen them feeding their birds and lizard with larvae of a small black bug that I don't know the name. Maybe I can ask them to supply some.
I ll give them a phone call.
I will look for some garden worms in my garden.
thanks

cheers

Hi all,
Yes I can easily find some fresh water shrimp here, as we eat often and we can find it in super market. I can mix it with what ? because I have already done:
fish + spinach + green peas + carrots + banana
That sounds a good mix, you could just add the shrimp in as <"another ingredient">.
For those worms I can find it quite easily, but will I need to clean it and wash their "stomach" because I am sure that they don't live in good clean earth here in Kinshasa.
Or will I have to culture them to be sure they are clean for my fish ? If so how can I culture them in good conditions please ?
Worms that live in mineral soil are difficult to culture, but if you can pick them up at night etc? should be OK to feed. If you put them in damp moss for a few days before you feed them to the fish they won't have any soil in their body cavity, but I've never worried too much.

If you can get hold of the worms that live in decaying vegetation, they can be cultured really easily in a bucket decayed leaves etc and fed with vegetable peelings etc. Have a look at <"Vermicomposting">. If you could find it <"Eudrilus eugeniae"> looks a good option.

cheers Darrel

I do not know about their english cappabilities.. But i only know they are very much into Discus.. They breed them for ove 15 years now and run a little shop in their living room with all kinds of brands and stuff. These guys live and breath Discus and aquarium, know all about Discus there is to know. :) Its a joy to visit their home/shop, actualy it's hard to say which home it actualy is, theirs or that of the fish.

Anyway if you encounter any issues or specific questions, if he can't answer it nobody probably can..

http://www.discusshop.nl/

If you have any give it a go and drop them a line. I realy dont have an idea if they do english.. :)

Looking suitably recovered now, are you going to get any more?

Hi Troy,

If I can find other discus in Kinshasa I will add some, but I have never seen other discus in Kinshasa. I feel happy that I save it, but feel guilty that he is alone and must feel sad that he lives alone for a fish that lives discus mate.
If I can find some discus mate I add some.

Cheers

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Hello,
I did an other 25% WC yesterday. Fish seams to like it, more active again after the WC.
I will do an other one tomorrow, because the frozen food do too much pollution. Did a strong trim on the MC on the left side where I put the food. All food get stuck in the plant bed and it is not go to smell the water that you siphon from this part of the tank haha.
Cheers

it is not go to smell the water that you siphon from this part of the tank
definitely water change more often then - you can just syphon that area more frequently.

Have a look at "discus feeder cones" (just google image) & try to make something similar ... or if you add more gelatin or agar to your food mix so that you can stick it to the glass ...

If you add some corydoras they will help with the food cleanup, also try adding much less food at one time so that your discus hunts down the dropped bits.

Hi thanks alto. I just did an other 20% WC.
Yes I think I will do an other batch of food. I will put gelatin it will help to hold together the food.
I will siphon every day that place. Doing WC for me is very easy, as tap water is ultra soft, temp is the same than aquarium. So a long pipe to the toilets to empty and directly in the tap to fill. So it will not bother me to do 20% WC every other day.
Let me check your video.

Thanks

The discus cone feeder is great I will DIY one next week with a mosquitos nest (I don't know if say it like that) and a metallic ring. Thanks for the tips.

Hi guys
The discus is doing very well !! It starts gaining weight and its face is less pinched than two weeks ago.
I did a 45% WC yesterday everything is good so far.
It's never a seams to have enough food. It is alway hungry hahaha this is discus.
So an other good news !!!
I met one of the UKAPS member Wednesday His name is Jose.
He kindly asked me two weeks ago if I wanted some Amano shrimp and some fish. I of course said yes !!! So Wednesday he call me in the morning to tell me that everything has arrived. It is very kind from him to do that !!! Thanks again JOSE !!
So I have now 45 ember tetras and 15 Amano shrimps.
The package have been sent on Monday and 3 days after its here, without any lost everyone survive the trip !!!

It's incredible how these shrimps are efficient. In one day they have clean the white sand in front the tank and it's really clean and white !!
Now I am a fan of shrimp hahaha.
It s good to have a bit of life in the tank because since 3 years I had only plants.
I will post a picture of the tank this week end

Cheers guys

Yes,
The Amano shrimp will help greatly with cleaning up food's that the fish may let fall to the substrate.(good algae eater's also)
Glad to hear the discus is improving.

Discus is looking much better, and the small fishes will give the Discus comfort.
I might just leave the tank as it is with no more fishes.

Wow, I've never really looked at discus before but now I am, it looks phenomenal in that tank! Keep up the fantastic work

Back