• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jbl 1501e

Lindy

Amazon uk have these at £104 posted at the mo. Not bad saving :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Jbl external filter? 1501e greenline

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Where can you get them for 87 pound new? I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I know, these tend to be very prone to having a low flow within a couple of weeks of cleaning them.
You know wrong then.

This is a JBL1501e after a couple of month use with all trays filled. Flow is absolutely fine, in fact had to position rocks/pebbles at front of tank to stop substrate being washed away.

A friend has two of them and has to clean them constantly including the hoses, flow goes down to a trickle otherwise but when they are cleaned, the flow is the same as yours.. It just doesn't last long if cleaning is overdue, definitely not two months. Perhaps bad luck.
No idea. Not cleaned the hoses in the three and half years I have had it. Its on my "to do sometime" list. The hoses are "dirty", but not enough to block the flow.

My filter gets opened every couple of weeks to retrieve fish fry. Once a month I rinse the coarse inlet sponges, usually containing plant debris. Every couple of months I clean the internal sponges and once or twice in three years have taken all the baskets out poured away all the water and filled the filter body with fresh water. Other than occasional blocked spray bar holes, very little maintenance.

You do more than I do on my filters. My friend does a lot more cleaning to keep them JBL's going than you do. As I said, it just could have been a bad batch. Certainly lots of people have good experience with them.

I was judging from my point of view. As the flow of my filters never drops.
I use pre-filter sponges(coarse) on the inlets which get washed regularly, once every week or every 2 weeks. Apart from that, I don't have to clean the filters if I don't want to but I open them around every 6 months. Take all baskets out, etc.. The last time I opened one of them, it was "clean". It has blue sponges in all trays. They were all blue and not brown at all. But pre-filter sponges help a lot that way. It would help with your fry too not getting into the filters.

Anyway, it's a matter of opinion and I think everyone should be entitled to all info they can get about a product, good or bad.

Shrimp are buggers. They are super tiny when they are born and they love to live in the pores of the pre-filter sponges. I've squished so many by accident and they get into the externals this way all the time where they grow out to adults. I've given up saving them. I may find 40-50 shrimp at time in my large externals, including adults, babies, et.. The only way is to have a very fine pre-filter sponge. But this does obstruct the flow almost in days and is not an option for me.

But for baby fish prefilter sponges work great. All fish, including my corys buzz around the prefilter sponges eating things from them so they are actually very useful.

Another item on my to do list is to make a 22mm (or larger) inlet strainer so I can keep shrimp...
Hi Ian,

If you're using the original inlet strainer like I do, I found that the Eheim biopower cartridges fit perfectly. Here's a picture:
28b4ce0c0da22acbcaead4fe72975c28.jpg

And fitted on the inlet:

a2bbc5eb51a8d4f365a5ae96c15bbc7a.jpg

No more shrimps in the filter and I didn't really notice a difference in the flow

Cheers,
Manu

Edit: sorry, tapatalk has put the pictures in "landscape" orientation...

Back