• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish room

I'm a little confused. What's the tank with 12 air lift filters for???

Yes I'm cycling the sponges. The big black pond filter was taken down 18 months ago. It still had its medium in and was full of water. I'm guessing it will still be fine to use. So I plumbed it up to my spawning tank and fitted the sponges to get them ready for the black vats.

I'm going get the water tested to see if it's ok to add fish.
What do you guys think? Will it be ok?

Bacteria in the pond filter will be dead as they had no food source for 18 months.
Bacteria colony will only grow as big as its food source so trying to that much media will result in negligible bacteria per filter unless you poop in the tank :D

You'd be much better off cycling the filters in the tanks they will live in

Kinda agree with James. Just put the filters in the tanks they will be in. Seed every tank with some live bacteria from 1) any existing pond, 2) any existing aquarium. Feed the tanks without fish some fishfood every day.

I have an 800ltr tropical tank. When I do a 400lter water change. Am I better of putting it in the vats below? If I do this can I add fish right away

You can. But you won't have cycled tanks. The dirty water will help jump start bacteria in the media but you won't be doing a fishless cycle. You'll be doing a fish in cycle and that's not really ideal.

If your looking at breeding that might not be a great start :sick: Just be patient. Cycle the tanks properly, without putting fish in harms way.

I'm going to run the fluid bed that james sugested on the first page of the thread. Am not sure these sponge filters will Handel raising the fry on there own so I can run the air sponges along side of the k1 fluid bed.

I have 900ltr of water to run through the filter and I'll be using 100ltr barrel with 60ltr of k1

What size pump will I need 1000ltr per hour or 10,000ltr per hour?

10,000ltr per hour. Will this not be running to fast through the filter?

Also my pipe work is only 15mm with 6 out lets with taps conected. It would be like a huge spray bar. Would this be ok?

55B76DB0-6A9A-4A5D-88ED-B85EED6A6D4C_zpsjup8svda.jpg

Set up is not finished but the water from the pump( filter) will flow out of the 15mm White pipe' fill the vats and water will over flow out of the black taps to the front of the vats back to the filter. The flow from the White pipe can be adjusted accordingly

The red tube is connected to the tap and will drip into the vats making constant water change, I can set this water change to as much or little as possible. With minimum effort
I will have an over flow connected to the barrel filter with a sump pump' pumping water out automaticly

I forgot to mention that the pump will be sat 4 ft under the vats on the ground. Not sure if this makes any differance to what size pump I need

What I don't understand is why will it have to be turnover 10x per hour. Is this not to fast ?

And a U V is this nessesury

UV is necessary as all your tanks share the same water. If a fish in one tanks gets a disease, it will quickly pass to all tanks via the water system. This is why most commercial shops and fish breeders have UV sterilisers in their water system to kill water born diseases before they spread.

Go to your "decent" LFS and ask to see their water circulation systems, I certainly have in two of my local shops, both had UV sterilisers in their system.

Well I have this UV maybe I can convert it some how to the new system
66EB1145-8CC8-44AC-A78B-7C93B77A6301_zpsbixhvi9f.jpg

Back