• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What do you use for water changes

Deano3

hi everyone just curious to how and what you use for water changes, I have always used a small length of hose and just hovered it above the substrate picking up detritus and it drains into bucket, then to refill I have been getting the garden hose and connecting to my square mixer tap with a hose lock attachment and adding the water into tank then purify.
Sometimes make a mess getting the hose out as must need new ends as the leak , a few people seem to be using he python system any recommendations as saves a lot of mess and is there to empty and refill

Thanks dean

Thanks Dean

I use the famous lazylife(R) flow controller. It's a copy from tomm Barr who showed me his attachment. :)

958BCB0E-CAA7-442C-A5D0-7F30CF60BCE2_zpsvshyah7n.jpg

Last edited:
I use the famous lazylife(R) flow controller. It's a copy from tomm Barr who showed me his attachment. :)

958BCB0E-CAA7-442C-A5D0-7F30CF60BCE2_zpsvshyah7n.jpg
Presumably by putting mains water directly into the tank with the dechlorinator you are technically diluting the dechlorinator with the rest of the original tank water and it may not do as good a job at treating the water?!?....Still I really like this idea in terms of using it as a syphon.

I just use a hose and a 25L screw top container to empty, then I fill with clean water and put it on the windowsill above my tank to syphon it in.

I just add dechlorinator to treat the whole tank. Small price to pay. Water changes are done in 15 minutes. Not a drop of water on the floor.

My water changes are about 80L so don't want to carry pails.

btw there is a cooler way of doing it but it's on another forum. Can I link here?

hi everyone just curious to how and what you use for water changes, I have always used a small length of hose and just hovered it above the substrate picking up detritus and it drains into bucket, then to refill I have been getting the garden hose and connecting to my square mixer tap with a hose lock attachment and adding the water into tank then purify.
Sometimes make a mess getting the hose out as must need new ends as the leak , a few people seem to be using he python system any recommendations as saves a lot of mess and is there to empty and refill

Thanks dean

Thanks Dean
I do almost the same as you, except I use the same hose for draining and filling, Iv'e attached a gravel vac/syphon to the end.

I put a NewJet pump into the tank and pump it out into empty 25l plastic jerry cans. I tend to fill 1 and then another to 2/3.

I then use a large bucket and put the pump into that. I'll fill the bucket with RO and let the pump lift it back to the tank.

Ideally, I'd like a smaller pump that would fit inside the jerry cans. Not managed to find one yet though!

i put the gardenhose in the tank inside the washing machine tool:
114-100-0112.jpg

Gravity does the rest and the water is for the garden. :) When finished i connect the garden hose to the crane and fill the tank.

We use ro, and remineralize. :) i window clean some times using a pole system so the kit pays for itself......I don't like the amount of waste water ro produces thought not very ecco.:(

I use RO from my bro in law who's a window cleaner......free :D

I syphon into 25l jerrys. Then lift up the full Jerry with a tap on it to refil.

Gonna get an inline pump when I have bigger tanks but the 25kg lift is good for a rugby sized chap like me ;)

I have a 110ltr water butt + 4 25ltr Brums up stairs in a cubbyhole, I use a long hose with attachments for water but on end, drain the tank straight outside into the back yard ( watering all plants as it goes ) then connect upstairs and gravity does the rest to refill

I always wonder how you guys can live with using buckets for water changes. I hate carrying buckets filled with water. I use gravity siphon to drain water from my tank directly to the drain outside the car porch, then use the garden hose with patented fishbag-full-o-holes to refill. Dechlorinator added directly to the tank before turning on the tap.
9492152347_f2d1896226_c.jpg

9494909524_f94cbcae69_c.jpg

The problem I have with using the garden is the temperature of the water will be a good 5/6C degrees below the tank water

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The problem I have with using the garden is the temperature of the water will be a good 5/6C degrees below the tank water
Either heat the water first, I use my butt heater (!!) but before that used to boils pans of water and add to 40l buckets of cold water before putting in the tank, or just put cold water straight in, which is what a lot of people do. Fish don't seem to mind. When I do this, cold hosepipe straight into tank, in the winter the tank temperature drops to 15'C odd but fish seem OK.

5/6C degrees below the tank water
I think in nature fish will see these kind of changes too, and wither them. Me personally i don't mind them, i even let the garden hosen run for a few hours in the sump once a month, to make a large waterchange. Temperatures drop then, fish don't mind.

I think in nature fish will see these kind of changes too, and wither them. Me personally i don't mind them, i even let the garden hosen run for a few hours in the sump once a month, to make a large waterchange. Temperatures drop then, fish don't mind.
yep same here. I do a 70% change with 18C water. tank drops to about 22ish for a few hours.

Back