• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help keeping plants wet while waiting for tank

ChilliPepper

Am I right in thinking I can put the plants in a bucket of dechlorinated water, and they will be OK from now until Sunday (2 days)?

Basically I am having everything delivered today as I work full time and have a day off as I'm working tomorrow. Everything means the tank, substrate and plants! So I want to keep the plants happy/dormant until Sunday when we will fill the new tank and can then plant them.

It might be a stupid question, but I'd rather check incase there is something else I need to do or could do better :)

Thanks

I don't know much, but I can tell you what's worked for me.

I've had apple snails uproot newly planted dwarf sag, bacopa 'compact', and eleocharis parvula, and they've all been fine floating on top of the tank for a few days. After noticing that, I've left little plants floating for literally a couple of weeks whilst I decided what to do with them, and they've been fine too.

If the water has the same parameters as what's going in your tank, and the plants don't have to adjust twice, I can't imagine it'd hurt.

Good luck with the new tank!

Thanks, yeah it will be pretty much the same but the substrate I have got will be softening my water. Though this will be a gradual thing when I fill up so it shouldn't shock them. They have just arrived but not unpacking yet as my tank should be here soon :)

I would simply keep them on their pots like you were doing emersed growth. Spray with water a few times a day and they will be fine

It depends on the plant but generally, two days is fine. You don't need to dechlorinate for most plants. it might be helpful for you to give them light though.

Are they OK like this?

21865702400_0bf563d411_c.jpg

I would simply cover the bucket with cling film to keep the humidity high at their leaves as well, then spray them with a fine mist of water and leave them. It is also a good idea to poke a couple of small holes to allow for air intake/out but don't make them too big

How were plants shipped in?
- if done in separate plastic sleeves, that is the best way to store in a cool, dim place with high humidity but not actually sitting in water ... I can't see all your plants but do see several that are emerse growth, these keep best as emerse rather than in a bucket of water.
As you have them placed, there is no distance between plants, if something begins to melt, it may rapidly affect others.

To keep plants 'dormant', think - cool, dark, damp :)
Plants with thin/fragile leafs do best with minimal handling.
Check for physical damage/melt before planting & just remove any bits as needed - generally the supplier can recommend the best way to proceed.

I've personally just opened the bags, let air in, sprayed with dechlorinated water, then resealed the bags. Did that twice a day and they kept fine for two days.

Stick 'em in a bucket and cover with water (no misting required). A bit of light rather than darkness and they'll be fine.

As above, ' they don't know it's not a fish tank'

What I did in the end was left them in the bucket as above, no direct light, and covered with cling film. They were fine :)

Back