• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Smells Fishy

hrmyj9.jpg

I needed help carrying that up 3 flights of stairs it was super heavy. Its the biggest tank I've ever owned. I started off with a 60L then went up to 2 100L's and now I have graduated this.
G5ZGjE.jpg

It was a mission just getting the wrapping off.
sr03hA.jpg

It was hard getting the cardboard off aswell.
15Ckc4.jpg

This was my first real try at a hardscape. Every single rock you see there came from my local beach and I take a lot of pride in that because it took probably 30 - 40 trips to the beach until I felt I had enough. I'll still collect this themed rock whilst beachcombing. It's a great hobby to have!
YCmlra.jpg

So here is the final outcome and I'm very pleased with it. As far as planting goes its 2 different types of Java Fern cuttings and Anubias Nana on the bog wood.
4pWDjz.jpg

Here's my 2 favourite fish Mr Parrot fish (yellow) and Miss' Parrot fish.
QzmK8S.jpg

Here's Mr Jaguar Cichlid. He's really grown on me during the time I've noticed his change in colour. When I first bought him about 5 months ago his colour was black and grey stripes.

Right guys/girls I feel like this is some crazy long power point presentation so I'm going to stop now. Cheers for looking.

Hi all,
PM replied to, I've got some more Fern and Anubias you can have.

I'm a bit worried about the size of the tank, the filter and the potential size of your cichlids.

I don't know much about big cichlids, but I'd maybe post your tank dimensions. filter, stocking etc on the <"British Cichlid Association"> web site, and people on there will be able to give you answers about how many of your fish you can keep to adult size.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for your concern Darrel, but as they grow we will accommodate the fish with a bigger tank, which is why this tank was bought in the first place. From observation, the fish are doing much better in this tank; they are happier and there's a lot less mouth wrestling.

Looks like a nice start.

For me id be concerned with the stand. I may be wrong but it does not look very sturdy. Im sure your aware that 200l of water weighs 200kg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice setup. Is that a female jag in the background? A breeding pair of jags will want to claim the whole tank, which I think will be an issue before size is.

Nice stones

That filter is for 100-150l tanks. 150 would be optimistic at best. The amounts those fish will need to be fed and then poop, your tank is going to get pretty grim without a larger filter.

@Sk3lly - Yes I'm aware that 200L is 200kg. The rocks would probably add another 50kg so yes I have doubted if the stand was up for the job. The stand is more sturdier than it looks, it doesn't sag or wobble and if it wasn't suitable surely I would know by now.

@James O - There is only 130L of water in the tank the rest is taken up by the rocks, sand, etc. I know that my fish are big poopers but I keep on top of water changes. Every 4 days I change about 50L and pinch the end of the syphon so the water comes out a lot slower and I can make sure I get most of the poo.

@Polleni - Yeah the Jag in the background I'm sure is a female. I bought them both together for £5 each and the female has always been smaller and duller coloured. From what I've read that's the way to tell the difference.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back