• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The birthplace of good ol Maggie!

fleetEWD

Hello Ladies and Gents,
I currently reside in the market town of Grantham, United Kingdom and have hit middle age very ungracefully finding myself with a lot of spare time on my hands at night.
This all started for me at the beginning of this year when my wife bought me a very basic starter set complete with plastic plants. Until then I had never set foot in any kind of aquatic store and after buying a few totally unsuitable fish for the size of aquarium I soon realised research was required and stumbled upon the world of aquatic plants!
I like to improvise and have set up a nano jungle with a de-topped fluval edge, led flood, DIY Co2. Lots of lessons learnt on this one with regards to photoperiod, nutrients filtration etc.
My current project is a Iwagumi style DSM HC Cuba carpet 75ltr clear seal tank with cat litter substrate. All enabled from research mainly from this site, so thanks to all posters. I will be popping up in various categories as I have yet to nail my lighting and Co2 options.
So will see you all around the bazaars and thanks for your time.

My first attempt with Hairgrass

i59W.jpg

A few Months later after a cyan blight and adding diy Co2 I have put in the scraps of HC from my DSM attempt and it seems to be taking
tbvR.jpg

fTdJ.jpg

and finally my DSM attempt.
iMeV.jpg
vnMY.jpg
ymhK.jpg

I'm thinking i should have resized the pics! anyway thank you for the welcome and look forward to learning from the pros

Looks good, even got a hydrometer.

The space between the rocks creates two gaps that are similar in size, which isn't that pleasing to the eye (to me anyway). I'd move the middle rock more to the left so it's just touching the far left rock.

Thanks Dantrasy, I didn't think the layout would be so hard to crack! so I have followed the rules very loosely. I think my main downfall was not being selective enough when choosing the rocks! Better to change it now though than a week into the dry start.

Thanks, for the warm welcome. Lots of knowledge here and the journals are really helping.

Back