• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Snails!

they will be ok in a planted tank as they wont eat them. they will graze on the algae nd b4you know it there wontbe any algae left, so you will have to suplerment there dietry needs.

My nerites tend to stick to the hardscape and tank walls rather than clambering all over the leaves. That's not to say they don't use them just that they seem to prefer the hardscape.

I've got a couple of the bee-staghorn ones too, while they're really cool they do tend to look a little lost in a tank my size (125l) they'd be better in a smaller tank, or more than the 2 I've got I suppose it the other option.

I think it depends on your tank size and layout as to how big a snail you want. If your tank is full of petite plants with small leaves then I'd stick with the smaller snails, if you've got a larger tank with some larger plants then the nerites will be more balanced in comparison.

Spixi apple snails are also a nice size, but they have a nasty habit of eating anything green if they're feeling hungry and mine have started laying egg clutches all over the place too.

i has staghorn ones too and they really do look lost in a 125L. i have ramshorns (which never seem to go away) and apple snails, there are now "mini" apple snails that dont grow too big, very cute. Watch them for hours. Think apples are more out going then some of the other snails.

Looking at your journal I think staghorns would get very lost. I'd be inclined to get some nice nerites and some more ottos. 8)

Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
Interesting your thoughts on dosing effecting shrimp.. Id be very surprised if it was the dosing on a normal EI schedule effecting them as masses of people run shrimp in heavily dosed tanks very well.. even Mr ADA himself!

Sorry for the late reply, but I rarely come on here these days.

As to the dosing, I never said I was dosing EI, I was dosing TPN+ when I lost the shrimp, and it effected my cherry shrimp as well, making them lethargic and shy (a classic sign of copper poisoning. However I can happily link at least 1 article by another shrimp keeper who stopped dosing CSM+B (I believe this is the trace mix used in EI) as he was getting signs of copper poisoning in his shrimp, and upon stopping the dosing this stopped, and as soon as I reduced my dosing back down lower the the amounts recommended on here, my cherry shrimp recovered, it was too late for my macrobrachium lanchesteri however, these been a much more sensitive species than Amano or cherry shrimp.

As to Takashi Amano having no problems with EI dosing and his shrimp, I was not aware that Takashi Amano used EI dosing, the books and articles I have read by him (I have a TFH digital subscription) suggest quite the contrary, and the levels he doses traces at are a fair bit lower than those espoused on here.

Ade

PS. I forgot to mention, I stopped using TPN+ a couple of months back now, and now dose using Pro-Fito, Nitro and Fosfo from Easy Life, using a dosing schedule loosely based around the Redfied ratio. My plants are still growing great, only now I have no potassium deficiency and my shrimp are much happier.

Has anyone else found their Nerites on the carpet?!

I find my one (I only have the one) on the carpet a few weeks after putting it in. It must have climbed up the glass out through a hole for the cables and then fallen off. I don't know how long it was out for, but it was dry. I put it back in and a few hours later it was moving around again, unharmed.

generaly if a snail leves the water its A- looking for some were to lay eggs .Not in this case. B- something in the water they dont like. just my pennies worth.

I have found that certain species of nerite are more prone to actively cruising above the waterline looking for food - they often clean the algae growing over the coverplates in my aquariums. I went to Thailand last year and was able to witness nerites in their natural habitat. They seemed to spend most of their time - 60% or more - out of the water crawling on the branches & rocks overhanging the river - resting alot but also grazing on algae. So its very much part of their natural cycle and shouldnt just be associated with them not liking the water conditions. So in short, a tight fitting lid is a necessity! :D

I'm tempted to add this snail to my current tank. But can anyone clarify their algae eating ability? As far as I can find, they mostly buried underground to munch on rotten plants. If they do eat algae, would be useful to know which algae they eat and which they don't. can't find anything as such online... Maybe someone with MTS can conduct an experiment with barebottom MTS tank and feed them algae? lol

Ive just added a zebra nerite snail, you should see him go! :thumbup:

Back