• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Whats Your Longest Lived Plant?

I have a java fern that I bought back in the late eighties or early nineties. More than once I have been down to a few leaves but it has always come back . The lucky thing about that plant is when the going gets tough it just starts throwing off plant-lets..

Yeah I agree Java Fern is a good investment, I've ended up with about 30 - 40 plant-lets from the ones I've bought.

Hi all,
I don't buy many plants, so a lot of mine I bought once and have owned them ever since. I'll ignore plants that sucker like Cryptocoryne spp., Limnobium, Salvinia etc. because they are potentially immortal.

Out of the plants that form a discrete entity, I've owned the same individual of Echinodorus bleheri, Nymphaea lotus "Red", Bolbitis heudelotti, Anubias barteri and Microsorum pteropus since 2008.

cheers Darrel

Same here, like Darrel mentions I've got immortal Crypts, but apart from that Anubias barteri which are several years old, and I've just composted a load of Java fern, which I've had forever...it was looking decidedly tired.

Amazon Sword,probably bleheri in a tank gifted to me by my son when he went university in 2009,its had its ups and downs moved a couple of times had it roots trimmed,introduced to CO2, at present in living room tank ready for a trim leaves about 16" high at surface,have given plantlets from it away kept a couple in the other tanks,got Java Ferns a few years ago still got them and grown plantlets.Best buy made ever two or three years ago bought a small tropica pot of Hyg.Polysperma about 3" high it grew and spread gave bucketloads away a real bargain,grows well in the non co2 .A Tropica needle leaf on wood purchased a few years ago it grew half way across tank spilt it up several times.Just love plants for free:)

I doubt, that you have a "Tropica Needleleaf" (supposing we're talking Microsorium here).........since that specie is not on the stock-list ;) .
Your plant is likely Mic. 'Narrow' or Mic. 'Trident'. The little plastic-sign attached, when you bought the wood it is living on, should state the name.

Yeh your right Mick its the one in Tropica with a sucker on the wood could be "Trident".? It was quite small on the wood purchased so it exceded all expectation with its speed of growth

Ludwigia repens.
I have tonnes of the stuff, and it all came from a single Tropica plant from Pets at Home a few years back. Even in my low tech/low light tank I am throwing some away every week.

I love plants and it is very hard for me to get rid of them... some plants have been with me from the very beginning even if they are sometimes hidden (i.e. most of my Bolbitis and Anubias are the same I bought years ago, they are now hidden between stem plants now or behind driftwood as they "don't fit in the current aquaecapes", but I don't want to lose them). When they get to big I trim them and a friend of mine is very happy to take the cuttings. So I even secure my plants in others' tanks :)

Honestly each time I trim my plants and I throw them to the bin I get sick... but at the end of the day you don't have time for selling every cutting and in my town the hobby is quite reduced to fish tanks so no chances for exchanges or similar.

Jordi

Oh ‘immortals” I hadn’t thought of that. Lol That makes things a lot harder.

Hi guys. I have had 2 echinodoras 'rose' for well over 2 years. Have taken them out of tanks previous and re planted many a time. Does not appear to grow at all but i think it is just a slow grower.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

amazon sword, bleheri over 2 years. Left the tank at an ex's house when i moved out, I wonder if its still alive! probably not ha

Back