• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Can't figure out why my fish are flashing... Any thoughts?

Please help me resolve this, becoming more and more frustrated and want my fish to be happy.

Stock:
12 otos
40 cherry barbs
40 peppered Cory's (13 adults, the rest are young, approx 2months old)

I only see the cherry barbs flash, at most its 1-4 at a time that I see flashing. I mostly females that flash but some males do too on occasion. When I am watching it seems like its females and I believe its not the use fish all the time.

The tank is 75g crypt tank with pfs substrate. Co2 and ferts. Planted plus lighting. Tank temp is 75. 10 hour photo period, very little algae.

There are no physical signs that I can see to explain why they flash. I bought the Cherry's in 2 stages, so some of them look a little different than others. The colors are not as bold is the first group. But flashing happens with fish from both groups. Its always random, or at least it seem to be random.

Fish spawn in my tank all the time. Minus the otos, they have yet to spawn that I can tell. I feed a large mix of foods and perform water changes regularly. I used to fill right from the tap but stopped due to extreme flashing from all my barbs and other fish after a WC. I now age my water prior to filling and they never flash right after a water change anymore.

I currently trying to go a month free of no ferts as I dont know what else I can try. I dont think it will change anything but I thought I would try.

Since its a crypt tank I.am not worried about nutrient deficiency from a short period like a month.

From what you say you're not using any water conditioner, is this correct?

Also have you tried eSha 2000? This is for parasites.. Fish often rub when they have a parasite that they are trying to dislodge

I do use conditioner. I am against meds until I know what I am dealing with. No fish have died or are acting sick.

They are all very active and eat very well.

Could be gill flukes that are irritating the fishes at times.
I bought some medicated fish food from Angel'sPlus.com and normally feed new fishes this food for first couple week's after purchasing and while they are still in quarantine.
Food contain's Praziquantel.

I think that I am going to pickup some hikari prazipro after work today and start treatment. Its sounds pretty safe and it would help rule out a few things once treatment is done.

I am worried about my young cory fry (2months old), I would hate to see my babies that I have raised from eggs die from the medication.

Don't know how to confirm gill flukes without gill scraping for view under microscope.
I prefer to use the medicated food for med's are often much more effective if you can get the fish to eat the med laced food.
Have used prazipro to treat water while raising some young store bought Discus,but have no idea how it might affect the young cory's.

Back