• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What Air Pumps Do You Use?

Smells Fishy

In my bedroom I have a 30L goldfish tank. During the day I use a Hidom-605 that runs two Boyu sponge filters. At night time I use the Hidom-601 that runs a Facilla sponge filter. I'm fed up of the 605 because it keeps on changing sound/pitch. Its very annoying, even more so because I've only had it 6 months. So I've had a look on Amazon and I'm thinking Tetratec APS300 or APS50. I want the APS300 because I could run two sponge filters from it but its a pump for 120L - 300L. Is the APS300 over sized for my 30L or can it be a case of bigger is better without water bubbling out the tank?

Thanks.

I have a small Interpet Aqua seems quiet as airpumps go but not sure if it would cope with two sponge filters. Have you tried suspending your airpump with strong string?

In my experience of using air pumps, all them produce noise of both vibrating of pump body and noise of bubbling air. I have been through numerous air pump types and have tried many methods to keep them quiet on my tank in the lounge.

Best of all is to put it on a timer, so it is not on when you are in the room. However the inductive load of most pumps seems to destroy electronic timers, eventually, especially the cheaper time switches (3 for £10 from B&Q). The time switches start suffering from forgetting their settings and just eventually just fail. I used an Ikea mechanical timer for a while (£3, the one you pull tabs out to set time). Not very accurate and did drift, but worked 100% on inductive load. Finally got an expensive brand £20 from electrical wholesaler (Timeguard brand, http://www.timeguard.com/, with 3 year guarantee), which worked 100%. Now using remote controlled mains sockets from programmable remote.

As for shutting the pump noise up, I tried suspending the pump from string, but if anything made the noise worse as it passed the vibrations into the tank cabinet. A good attempt was made by standing the pump on block of polystyrene, even better was encasing the pump in a box of polystyrene, though got worried about heat. Best noise reduction was cutting a piece of paving stone to fit in bottom of cabinet and putting the pump on that.

Unfortunately since going high tech, the paving stone has gone and air pump is now wedged in cabinet, it's legs just visible above the CO2 plug in the picture below.

Electrics_zpsac8f2a0c.jpg

I have one of those Tetratec ones (APS150). It's powerful but not quiet, there is a deep hum which seems to resonate very deeply through the cabinet.
I made foam feet for it to stand on (using filter floss I think) which helped greatly. Now you cannot hear it in the same room, but strangely you can from upstairs. Probably drives the neighbours nuts .

Thanks guys. I ended up buying an Eheim 200 off Amazon for £27.71 and its the real deal with a 3 year warranty! There's no horrible sound now in my bedroom. Only the sound of the bubbles. Happy days.

Back