• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

02 with C02 ?

Chris Anderson

Seedling
I am looking for advice regarding using airstones to increase 02 levels at night: i have a c02 pressurized system which is working and performing well, however having kept marine and tropical fish for many years i have always used airstones for cosmetic and practical use in the aquarium for the fish and circulation, i am planning to introduce 02 after the c02 and lights shut down for surface agitation etc, which i would program to turn off 1/2 hour before that c02 system switches back on. there are so many conflicting views out on the internet ! so just wondering what your experienced views are ?

Any air stone doesn't introduce as much O2 as having decent surface agitation. There was some research done a couple of years ago that showed surface agitation has greater capacity for increasing O2 levels that an air stone.

So provided you have sufficient surface agitation an air stone will not make any difference to the O2 levels.

However using an airstone will have its use:
  • It will degas CO2 considerably quicker
  • Generate different water circulation patterns lifting up settled detritus to be filtered away.
  • Get rid of any surface film.
I have an air stone coming on at 10:45pm (2/3 hour after CO2 off) until 3am. Definitely cleared up my surface film when I first started my planted tank and does remove settled detritus and reminds me "it is late....get to bed...".

Thank you for your replies and concise information set my mind straight with that one, i will now have my air pump running at night

Chris

Back